Low wind impressions..... C kite vs bow...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:07 pm

Yeah, in that light wind it is totally noticeable. It wants to stall much easier. In the rain it is worse obviously because it never dries out. But the nylon doesnt hold the water for too long on a dry day after getting wet. Kites rule!

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:46 pm

In response to Dewey:

If racing had not come in to sailing, all sailboats would look like those that Christopher Columbus arrived in some 500 years ago.

So yes, I agree with Andy, racing promotes better kites.
Leo

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:22 am

polyester is better than nylon for kites. Poly soaks up less water, dries quicker, and... DOESN'T loose significant amounts of strength when it gets wet!
The the characteristics that might make you want to use nylon over poly generally apply to big boat spinnakers: It stretches more, so in light air, it doesn't make the kite ripple when going through chop.
Poly also lets you use lighter material, on big boats you can use .5 oz poly (actually .45) where you'd need a .75 oz nylon chute.

I don't think too many people are using nylon in kites anymore, but don't quote me on that.
RRD Socal Rep

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:00 am

Leo, I agree with Andy about the racing thing. Could be fun.
lmontejo wrote:C-kites are dead, long live the Bow...
This is the type of statement that we should try to avoid. It just divides us into seperate groups when we're all kiters (even guys on foils). Like I said it's good to be stoked on your gear, just don't bag on others gear.
Dewey