Howto: Post Pictures

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Howto: Post Pictures

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:55 am

For anyone who wants to know how to upload pictures to the forum, there are a few different methods.

If the image is already available on the web (it is on some website, or you have already uploaded it to a website you have access to), you will use an "img" tag.

[hr]

First, you need to know the URL (think of URL as your image address in this case).

If you are viewing the image in your web browser, it will likely be in the input field where you type web site addresses. You can highlight the URL, and copy it to your clipboard.

If you're viewing it within a website, you can right click on the image, and select properties. This will generally display the URL of the image. Copy it to your clipboard.

Note: For your image URL to be displayed, it must end with .gif, .jpg (and maybe a few other extensions). Just as an example, if you upload with Flickr, you need to trim off some additional information from the URL to make it work in the forums.

OK, you have the URL now. Open up a new blank browser, and paste the URL in to the address field. Make sure that it comes up ok.

Now, to post it in your post, use the "img" tags. These are surrounded in brackets. You can either type these in yourself, or use the icon/button above your post entry that looks like a mountain postcard.

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/templates/fisubsilversh/images/phpbb2_logor.gif[/img]
becomes:

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 am

My above post describes how to post an image if it already is on the web.

I have been using a service called "Flickr" (http://www.flickr.com) to post my images. They have a free limited/restricted service (they limit the amount of data you can upload, stuff like that). They also have a program you can install in windows that makes it very easy to upload.

If you signup with the service, it should be pretty easy to figure out how to upload through their page. I just logged in, and there was an "Upload" link. It allows you to upload up to 6 images at a time. By clicking the browse button, you will navigate your local computer and select the image you wish to upload.

If you install their application, which I probably was pointed at during the initial signup process, you can simply right-click on the image from within Windows Explorer and choose "Send to Flickr". This will create a wizard to upload the photo. It will also resize the image for you. A full resolution digital camera image will be very large in both the file size (download time, storage space on Flickr, etc) and screen size (will display way too large).

Once you have upload the image, whether it was with their web site, or their wizard, you will need to view the image. (See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61158341@N00/121636525/)

Click on the image. It should come up within a web site with tons of stuff, add comments, buttons to blog about it, etc. If you're using Internet Explorer, right click on the image and select properties (as describes above). You should get something like "http://static.flickr.com/44/121636525_2 ... 77.jpg?v=0"
. As mentioned above, the URL must end in .gif or .jpg, so you need to remove the "?v=0" part. Do that, and copy into a blank browser to verify it works.

If you're using firefox, it is even easier. Right click on the image, and select "View Image". This will bring up the image in its own URL. In this case, again it will end in ?v=0, which we don't want! Just remove that part, and press enter again. It will reload the URL, and this is your verification step that it works. You can then double click on the URL field and copy the URL.

If it works, you can use it in the img tags.

Only problem with Flickr I've had so far, is that when uploading (with the windows "Send to Flickr" wizard), no matter what size you select, it always comes out the same size.

If anyone wants help with Flickr let me know...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 am

The other method is using a service like http://imageshack.com/ or something like that.

Basically, this will allow you to upload an image, and it will give you a URL to the image, and sometimes they will display the coded forum img tag. In this case, they're popping up ads, and stuff. Other similar sites might require you to sign up, be careful of spam and stuff, use a garbage email account :wink:

One problem with this, even though it has the capability of resizing, it also has a file size restriction of 1 megabyte (1024 kilobytes). This means a full sized digital camera image will likely need to be resized manually on your computer...

Quick steps with imageshack.us:
Select "File", and choose the Browse button.

Select the file on your local hard drive you wish to upload. Make sure it is under 1 megabyte.

Check the "resize image?" option. Choose 640x480, or maybe another size, your call.

I don't know about the remove size/resolution bar option. Leave it?

Click "host it!" button.

OK, I'm using Firefox, so the display looks a little wrong, but it looks like there are a few sets of tags to use in forums which you should be able to copy and paste. The hard way is as follows:

Click on the image that you uploaded. It will be a small thumbnail, with the resolution and file size below it in black.

(Note: This page will NOT work in the img tags. This is because it is a URL to a page that contains your image, not the image URL itself!)

This comes up with the image, a rate it option, ads, etc. Do the same thing that I described in the Flickr section.

IE: Right click, properties, copy the URL/address.
Firefox: Right click, View Image, copy URL from the URL box.
(Firefox: also, Right-click, Copy Image Location... shortcut)

Verify the URL works in a new blank browser.

Insert in a post as described in first post...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:30 am

Additionally, sometimes BAK has an option to add an "Attachment" to the post (not always?). This would bring up the dialog to select the image from your local hard drive. This will likely have file/image size restrictions, so you will need to have resized locally.

You can also try creating a User Gallery on this site (or kiteforum...), uploading the image, and then using the tricks above to get at the image URL.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:31 am

And this reply will have absolutely no purpose other than to up my number of posts to 420. Time to stop posting for awhile! :)

-josh out

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

I am lame

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 am

[right]https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/alb ... ?pic_id=73[/right]

I don't think it works for me

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:22 am

Ah, but that's not the actual location of the file, just how it's identified. If you open up that image from your album by clicking on it, I believe you can then copy its location.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:43 am

Ya, maybe that won't work with the BAK gallery. The pictures in the "Multimedia" section seem to have proper image URLs though.

Weird.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:56 am

same deal from gallery... can't get the actual jpg file...

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:57 am

BTW... I was able to post the pics on kiteforum without a hitch...

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 118#318118

I thought the php soft was the same.....