100 square meter kite today in Alameda (no kidding...)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:51 am

re: the low-wind duel...

I saw Yuri walk up many times yesterday, while I was staying upwind, but I¥ll let Yuri be the jury... :P

We were definitely the only ones who really kited yesterday. Even the 100m kite ended up way down.

So in conclusion:

10mph of wind
12m bowkite
Glide or similar board

= Kiting all day...

With regards to posting pics here (i.e. the Google Earth ones, or any jpeg, what I do is put them on another website (on a server), and then create a link to it from here. So if you have FTP access to a website, you can post the pics here.

I did see a friend of Rebecca¥s with a digital camera on the beach yesterday. Mine ran out of batteries earlier in the day. So there are some good pics out there. Click here to see a web page about this: Kiteboat

And for the cream on the pudding: Our friendly Alameda Regional Parks Officer, the one that talks on the radio to send helicopters, yes.. was giving the Naish buggy a ticket for having 3 people ride it on the way back when the boat and giant sail were retrieved down the road. It would seem that this officer would ticket somebody for saving a drowning individual in a lake when there is a no swimming sign!

Can we make these people realize that we are the ones who pay their salary? Frankly, I have a hard time understanding how their brain functions.
Leo

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:23 am

I wounder the same thing about you leo.
charlie

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:25 am

I'm into Cartesian reasoning and Aristotelian logic.
Leo

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Naish Monster Kite

Post by Don Bogardus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:47 am

Naish kite guys told me they broke one, then another daggerboard,
also the trampoline ripped, so they got pushed downwind by equipt.
problems.They said at one point that they clocked 18mph!.
Don't understand why they were ticketed?, does anybody know why?.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:50 am

i start to trip on the hole Alameda Discussion thing
and the guild.
i wounder how it is that if your gonna go kite in light wind, you should follow the guild.that is
1 make sure you have wind to fly
2 drag or walk out 200 feet, so when your kite falls out of the sky, its not on the "shore"
3 not fly your kite back up the beach.
charlie

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:52 am

They had 3 people in the dune buggy (the person who drove the buggy down + the two they retrieved) when it only has two seats, for the ride up from the retrieve 1 mile down. But since this was a park¥s officer, I suspect he only ticketed them for riding inside the park like this (at 5mph)...

AHHHHHHHHHlameda.....
Leo

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:25 am

lmontejo wrote:
With regards to posting pics here (i.e. the Google Earth ones, or any jpeg, what I do is put them on another website (on a server), and then create a link to it from here. So if you have FTP access to a website, you can post the pics here.
Thanks Leo. I just posted a Howto for anyone interested. Hopefully it is somewhat comprehensible.

http://bayareakiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=2849

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:57 am

I was able to post small pics in the gallery... Links are above..

About a month ago Yuri and I had a low-wind ride, swapped kites, swapped boards, and I think that the Glide was the advantage yesterday.... Although Yuri's Glid is the same size as the Glide, the rocker in the GLID keeps the board from skimming like the Glide can.... When we swapped, I couldn't even get up on his board.... Yuri... I think you are ready for the GLID II with Hydrofoils.
lmontejo wrote:re: the low-wind duel...

I saw Yuri walk up many times yesterday, while I was staying upwind, but I¥ll let Yuri be the jury... :P

We were definitely the only ones who really kited yesterday. Even the 100m kite ended up way down.

So in conclusion:

10mph of wind
12m bowkite
Glide or similar board

= Kiting all day...

I did see a friend of Rebecca¥s with a digital camera on the beach yesterday. Mine ran out of batteries earlier in the day. So there are some good pics out there. Click here to see a web page about this: Kiteboat

And for the cream on the pudding: Our friendly Alameda Regional Parks Officer, the one that talks on the radio to send helicopters, yes.. was giving the Naish buggy a ticket for having 3 people ride it on the way back when the boat and giant sail were retrieved down the road. It would seem that this officer would ticket somebody for saving a drowning individual in a lake when there is a no swimming sign!

Can we make these people realize that we are the ones who pay their salary? Frankly, I have a hard time understanding how their brain functions.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:39 am

Ok, so first off I was keeping up with you yesterday no problem, the reason i was walking so much was because everytime I went out I was trying to do surface 360s and never succeeding. And Andy is definately right about the rocker on my board. As minimal as it is I cannot deny that it amazingly adds that extra drag not wanted in a light wind board. BUT! My board is 1.5" bigger and I personally have noproblem planing on it. And my board will not tuck an edge under easily and I can go out in slightly choppier waters. Yesterday i was watching Leo DOWNWIND of me for a while and i noticed that the glide made a cleaner path in the water. But my honest opinion is that only matters in the sub 10's. otherwise I take my glid anyday of the week.

So did the naish guys get a ticket for the buggy or the kite?