Noob....

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
lakemonkey
Joey
Joey
Noob....

Post by lakemonkey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:26 am

What up? I'm out in central Texas and my company is about to move me to Oklahoma. I have been wakeboarding for 4 years but being as Oklahoma is flat and windy the water is pretty haggard more often than not. With that combination seems like kite boarding would be sick to get into. So, I know absolutly nothing about it other than the fact that is looks gnar. Any input on where and what gear I need? Also, will I be able to figure this out through trial and error or am I going to have to get lessons?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:23 am

Number one priority when setting out to conquer the sport - get lessons!

You can good deals on used gear online at places like ikitesurf.com , ebay and forums like this, but above all, get lessons!

lakemonkey
Joey
Joey

Post by lakemonkey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:28 am

Got to figure out where to get them.....so prolly no way to figure this out by eatin it huh?

zgur
Resident
Resident

get lessons

Post by zgur » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:03 am

If you care about staying alive, get lessons, it's that simple!

You will eat it plenty as you learn.

"It's nice to here, It's nice to be"

Z.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:22 pm

lakemonkey;
You have recieved the wisdom of Masters.
Take some lessons.
To maximize the benefit of the lessons fly a trainer kte until you can walk and chew gum while spinning kite loops with one hand and reading a magazine with the other.

Something like this will do it.
http://www.kitewindsurf.com/Store/detail.aspx?ID=465

Trust me on this - you do not want to learn how to fly a kite when you are neck deep in bottomless water. Maybe twenty hours of trainer kite time before you enter the water will properly prepare you. The front time effort will be rewarded by kite control that will get you up on your board.

lakemonkey
Joey
Joey

Post by lakemonkey » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:45 pm

you guys are ballerz, I appreciate the help. I just got done buyin a trainer kite and DVD on Ebay. Guess I'll start riding around on my skateboard till I get the hang of it.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:26 pm

It's pretty clear what the concensus is here. Just wanted to add that I'm involved in a broad variety of "risky" sports (that's what my mom says anyway) and the ONLY one I took ANY lessons for was kitesurfing. The other guys who answered you are considerably more experienced than I am, so go with it Bro.

Live2KiteNotherDayLakePrim8!
Go bigga'