Slingshot glide vs. liquid force WLF

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Slingshot glide vs. liquid force WLF

glide
100%
WLF
No votes

Total votes: 5

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Keep me posted.... I have extra fins, footstaps, and a workshop at my disposal... I'd be interested to find out if a mega glide (wider and longer) works any better, as well as a mini glide... (135cm)

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Mini-glide would be for racing in higher winds.... an upwind machine

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm

I am totally stoked about my new Glide. I weigh 200lbs in my birthday suit. I usually ride a UG FLX 132. My prior light wind board was a SS LFT. I took the Glide out for the first time yesterday at Alemeda. I went out a little before 3pm and the wind according to ikitesurf.com was blowing between 12-14. I blew up a WW Rapture I 15m. This is not a very grunty kite and is probably equal to a 13-14m C kite in pull.
I got up on the Glide and started heading up wind right away. This board gets up and planning so easy. It is also a really fast board. Although it is a pretty big board it is super light and does not feel like a BIG board. As the wind picked up I stayed out on the board and had no problem with the board being too much. I was able to jump with the board no problem as it feels light on your feet.
I recommend highly that you try one out. Thats what I did and once I tried it I was sold. I expect to get many more hours on the water this year because of this board. I also expect to be flying a smaller kite than I normally would in light winds, and if the winds really pick up, instead of coming in and re-rigging a smaller kite, I will ride in, grab my FLX 132 and go right back out. (Thats the plan anyway...)
Last edited by marin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Most people don't believe this... but it is way easier to have 2 boards and 1 kite than it is to have 2 kites and 1 board.... Changing a board doesn't take any rigging time at all...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:18 am

I built a woodie, not the glide shape, more like the door with the cut tips (like the 06 Spleene). I used 9 ply half inch birch, which what I understand is recommended wood for this board, and it is heavy. Very heavy. Stiffer than a Glide. I remember someone in Alameda built it from pine, but it was too soft, so he glassed it. I think it was still softer than a Glide. I actually tried that board, don't remember who it was (knife?).

Next version I will try glass, just for the weight aspect. Anyone has a rocker table that I can borrow?

If people are really into board building, we can team and get quality stuff that comes in big quantities, like MGS epoxy.

If anyone is interested I still have more birch, probably good for two more boards.