Type wave bar

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Type wave bar

Post by panzerfaust » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:44 pm

what do you guys think of flying windwing rage2s with the type wave bar.

Yuri got me thinking that maybe I should get a more "relaxed" bar instead of the cc-bar. I looked at it online but can't really see how the sheeting is controlled other than via the movement of the bar.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:02 pm

You can swing by Mill Valley and take a look at the RRD Type Wave bar or the Total Depower Bar from 2006 from RRD and see how they would work for your kites.
Evan - Live2KITE

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:22 pm

I'll see you in the morning :)

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Chris,
I rode the TW bar in Baja last week (on a Type Wave 10). I think the action is more like the CC bar with a single pulley, which is the way Ollie and maybe Charlie ride (rode?) that bar.

The bar stays where you put it until you move it. It doesn't take much push or pull to move it, but it also doesn't take much pressure to keep the bar in one spot. I actually found it a little jerky until I got used to it.

I was thinking about how you might use it on a Rage (I have a 14M). I think as long as you used the leading edge "bridles" to keep the LE from deforming it would probably work. The Type Wave kite has a cross bridle that does pretty much the same thing.
Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:26 am

i ride the type wave cuz it is a FaT little kite for little money (live2 kite)

i like it the type wave cuz it dose what i tell it to do, when i tell it to do it~!
it has more power then i need anD i can de power it, and still stear
if your gonna put a wave bar on your ww rage try hook n up a fifth line to hang the kite off at depower thats whats the pully for.(you fly it with out the bridles right?)
as for the bridles on ... i dont know ?
i would try it with a fifth line and no bridles on .
my 2 cents
charlie

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:50 am

The "bridles" on the Rage do the same thing as the cross bridle on the TYpe Wave -- they hold the structure of the LE so that it doesn't deform when you depower the kite. They're just two small pieces of leader line than run along the LE. I don't think any kite without some sort of cross bridle will work with the TW bar. Of course you also need a fifth line.

I'm thinking about making my own TW style bar for my larger kites (the one for the 10M is too small for a 12 and 14). You just need a bar with a larger CL hole, a pulley, and a few extra pieces of Amsteel. The TW bar has the pulley sewn onto the CL, but you can just rig it all up with rope.
Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:54 am

ok but..
i was under the impresstion that the cross bridle on the type wave was to keep the fifth line from wrapping around the kite,
then help hold shape?
charlie

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 am

I don't use the briddles on any of my kites because it had some odd results. Often I would realize that to keep the kite straight I'd have to keep my bar at ~45% and do a few hard yanks to even it out which was really freaking annoying. I'm going to stop by live2kite and check some bars out if I can make it out today.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:05 am

That might be a side-benefit of the cross bridle, but the main reason is for shape/stability. If you ever happen to underinflate your LE on your Type Wave, you will see the results pretty quickly -- the whole kite shudders when you depower it and transfer the load to the fifth line. It's pretty scary in high winds.

If you used the TW bar without that cross bridle, when you transfer the load to the fifth line (depower), the LE will change shape and act wierd. The fifth line on that kite doesn't work the same way that other fifth lines do (passive system).

Anyway, I think it was Dewey who mentioned that some kites might not be reinforced to hold that cross bridle, but since the WW Rages already had a similar system, I'm sure it will be fine. Plus, the LE on those kites is bomber.
Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:35 am

i did see some flapping of the kite, with the zippers open in high wind over 20+,
didnt bother my fun
kitewas stock with all cross lines and the keeper in place
just putting it out there.
charlie