Type Wave Bar question

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito
Resident
Resident
Type Wave Bar question

Post by Pablito » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 pm

I just got a used Type Wave 10M with a bar/lines.

The bar I got doesn't have a sheet strap or cleat on it. Does anyone know if the 05 bar came standard with one or the other, and which? I'm going to put a new chicken loop line in the bar anyway, and the one that is on it is too short for a sheet system. I have a Camcleat setup with a Ronstan pulley that I'm thinking about using.

Any help would be appreciated.
Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:08 am

Paul,

As long as the sheeting line and 5th line that runs through the pulley are in good shape, you are good to go. The Type Wave bar is setup for optimum performance as is with no mods needed and there is no trim strap provision on the 05 TW bars. The active 5th line provides total depower. Generally speaking, they don't last the longest as they get alot of use with all the running through the pulley and all, but contact Evan at live2kite.com (info@live2kite.com) and he can provide you with a new chicken loop/sheeting line/5th line leader assembly.

Go with stock on this setup.

I trust you picked up the BAK NSI golf bag at the UN warehouse OK - have a great trip! Return the bag with beer in it. ;)

Cheers,
Ollie

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks, Ollie. I already put some new Amsteel and a new pulley in. I'm working on the chicken loop.

I noticed that the new Type W bar setup does have a sheeting system. It also has a big harness loop. Just curious why they added it, and if it is an improvement? Did you ever find that you were riding with the bar in a spot that wasn't comfortable for a long time, and wanting to adjust it?

Any preference on cerveza? I didn't realize I was going to be able to fit half my gear in the bag along with the kite. That thing is great.
Paul

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:37 pm

We went back and forth with the new and old wave bars when we were in Baja, and there was not much difference. The amount of trim on the new bars with the cleat is fairly small. I have changed the chicken loop a few times....be sure you check out the line length before heading south....A small adjustement in the length of the 5th line vs. front lines vs. back make a big difference in how the kite flys....send some kite loops!

Bob

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:11 pm

So Bob you don't think that the new bars are much better?? The price of the new bars are crazy!! I think it's almost $350!! I am thinking of getting one for the HiR's. Should I save the cash for the new bar, or pick up last year's bar?
Dewey

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 pm

I find the newer bar an improvement over last years, but is it worth the $350? I would think that last year's bars were pretty good if you could live with their spartiatic features. They work great overall but when used as regular bars with the stopper the main depower adjustment becomes handy.

Last year's bars are $150 complete with bar/lines. A great deal.

Also, the Type Wave kites start at $425 for the 8m kite only or $525 complete!!!

Evan - Live2kite
www.live2kite.com
info@live2kite.com

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:02 am

well....I do not want to step on Evan's toes...'cus he is the man...First, what the hell does spartiatic mean? I am to lazy to get a dictionary.....the problem with the old bars is that the center hole will wear out, and cause more wear on the chicken loop line. The advantage of the new bar is that you can set the stopper ball and adjust the front lines with a cleat, thereby useing the bar in a more standard mode - which lets you ride the bar out at the stopper. this is nice for lofty one handed jumps. That move is a bit more difficult on the old wave bar, as you have to stay sheeted in with one hand for max boost. When you use the bar without the stopper, there is not much difference between the two, as far as performance.

The question is how well the new bars will wear on the chicken loop, as well as the hole in the bar. They are built better, and I expect them to last well, but I only have 7-8 days on the bar so far. I am trying to sell my type wave 10 since I picked up the type 7. However, I don't know if I want to part with the bar - as you know, my family brings 4 kiters to the beach, so I need lot's of bars.

Is the bar worth the extra $200? dunno...

bob

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:42 am

If I could just get an upclose photo of the new wave bar, I think I could probably add the mods myself or something similar. Just like with everything else new in the kiting world, though, it seems like the companies try to keep the photos a little fuzzy or far enough away to make it harder to rip off the designs before the stuff even gets to market.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of time in on the TW in La Ventana next week, and I'm bringing a box of spare parts with me if I decide I need to modify it. :)
Paul

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:49 am

The price for the Type Wave kites are nice
$665 for a 12m with bar!
Is kiting going to become 'affordable' as the market gets more flooded?

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm

That 12 is a sweet kite....Chip was pulling off all kinds of nice moves with that kite last year....