Nice session today in Alameda

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Nice session today in Alameda

Post by lmontejo » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Alameda turned out OK today, and I had at least a two hour kite session, first on my Crossbow 12 + Slingshot Glide, then a borrowed Vega 16 + Slingshot Misfit 134, and then to end the afternoon, my Crossbow 12 + Slingshot Misfit 134. Those who were there thought that today's session was better than yesterday! Winds were 12-14 for a couple of hours.

I must say I really liked the Misfit board which is concave and makes you feel very light on your feet. I will now own two Slignshot boards. Thank you Dave Civello for the Misfit demo! Thanks to KiteWindsurf for steering me in this direction.

My hands got cold at the end, so I packed everything up at around 5:30pm. I am headed for La Ventana for a week with the family. Will keep you posted!
Leo

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Leo,i am going to try that mod to the bar pressure on the xbow. Have you heard of this?

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... ock+photos

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:21 pm

I'm gonna try it also, the kite block should come next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll post a review.
If in doubt, do it.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 pm

I have my bow laid out in the living room here and i am looking at the drawings i found on kiteforum. My biggest question is-how the hell does this work? After reading some posts, people who tried it said the pulley barely moves-like 2 cm tops. if thats the case then how does this do anything at all? That pulley doesnt seem to allow anything to move except for the line thats attached to it. Please. an engineer is in desperate need here. I am so baffled by this.

Yuri

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:35 am

Andy how is the water temperature in Alameda?

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:43 am

The water is freaking cold! For the first time I needed help undoing my kite lines and valves as I couldnt figure out how to work my hands.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 am

VanSimms wrote:I'm gonna try it also, the kite block should come next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll post a review.
Do you mind me asking wher you got the right pulleys? I was going to try Svendsons marine or West Marine but sometimes they dont have these specialty items.

Thanks

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Water temp was cold yesterday... Cold enough that I wore booties, which I generally hate.. I find however that air temp makes more a difference than water temp... and the air temp has been cold... yesterday was around 50 degrees. I'm not complaining though and consider the bay to be good year round. I have not been cold..ie inside my suit in my body's core, in a long time... Modern suits are really good at keeping the chill out.

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm

This is the invoice of my order:

The following parcel was processed to be shipped on 02-15-06

SHIPPED FROM:
ANNAPOLIS PERFORMANCE SAILING
104 SEVERN AVENUE
ANNAPOLIS, MD 21403

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d6000/e3490.asp
This is where I got it, but I would ask Andy at KiteWindSurf about this mod, I think there is a kit that he can order that was originally used to convert 4-line kites to 2-line but it is has the exact parts needed to do this mod (line, block).
Good luck!
-Evan

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:31 am

thnks, I was down there today and they didnt have any. Look forward to hearing your results.

yuri