Time to get blown

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am

it was 10m kiting for about an hour from 3-4 then it died off and the tide was going out.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am

It did die down but it was still fun on TurboDiesel 8m. With help of Dave, adjusting the knots... it was super fun as I did not kite for a while. Thanks Andy!! it's a great kite. If I were looking for a bow kite, I'd definitely get this kite. I liked the simplicity of the bar, compared to Xbow.

zgur
Resident
Resident

Todays wind

Post by zgur » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am

Charile - I was scared to post here, as I should be in the weather section :shock:

Seriously, I would not bet on good kiting @ alameda today. The way the weather is set up, there is not much dynamics to draw the wind to the beach @ alameda. The coast, crissy, 3rd and possible Berk should have some good energy moving today.

I was on the coast yesterday with Bob and Gabe. We were quite powered on 7m kites for 1.5 hours. It picked up so much that even a 7 became too big...that was around 4pm. Quite windy indeed. Interesting way to start the season - all new gear (kites/boards/wetsuit/harness/helmet - everything) and very strong wind.

And yes, the Vegas 06 is a very good kite, with insane depower range. I'll post a more detailed review once I've ridden a bit more on the kites, as I want to see how they perform in other conditions. Needless to say the top end is VERY large. I was very impressed with how well the kite flew out of the bag - zero tunning, open plastic, pump, attach and enjoy. Just add wind and water.... :P

Good winds,Z.

jrg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jrg » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:36 am

3rd was good early (1-3) yesterday - then it got nuts - Windsurfers on 3.4's
Should be good today.

-J.R.

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:43 am

Zeev tell us about the new board and kites 12/16 or 14/18??
replacement vehicle?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:37 pm

z, i hope to kite alameda this afternoon but not on a 12m more
likely on a 16m?
and i can not think of you scared of anything .....
all new stuff, sounds scarey!
add water.
charlie

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm

Yoko, you were on an 8? No wonder. was Dave also flying a 12 cause I was trying to comapare the 2 kites and thought it looked awefully small. Having flown the xbow, hows the bar pressure? Thats my biggest prob. with the xbow, my joint in my right arm is going bad from it.

Yuri

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Dave's was a 10.

If you're interested in really messing with your kite to reduce bar pressure at the low end, there were some postings on kiteforum that supposedly accomplished this by adding pulleys to the front lines.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... ossbow+mod
http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 8&start=30

The guy that did the write up/diagrams was "thekiterider2000".

There was a posting from experienced1 (that is the local cab dealer right?) that was hinting that dealers should have left over Access bridle parts that would provide parts for the mod.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:37 pm

yep dave was on a 10, but andy was on 12.
I didn't care about bar pressure because I didn't feel it at all. Maybe Crossbow 12 was pretty heavy to me when I tried in Japan. I liked the simplicity of ss-bar very much. No need for custom adjustment as I have short arms. I normally did that for all of my bars. You should try it you'll instantly know since you fly bow kites.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Things were looking windy down here in Santa Barbara and I ended up taking from work a bit after lunch and hit the south end of the SB Beach/Harbor area for about an hour on a 12. The harbor curves in a bit and with the NW flow, it was pretty gusty sideshore conditions and ended being a bit rough, but still fun considering my last kiting was the 27th of last month.

Saturday I will try to head up to Jalama, about an hour north, which is a great spot, or down to C-Street in Ventura, about 30 minutes south.

Here's today at Jalama:
Attachments
newgraph.gif
newgraph.gif (17.05KiB)Viewed 2412 times