Just got my new Kiteboarding mag today...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Just got my new Kiteboarding mag today...

Post by bdawg » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:50 pm

You know the one with the '06 gear guide. I thought that RRD made more than one kite (type wave 2). Guess not as that is the only one mentioned in the mag.

I don't know about you but i am let down here. Is $$$$ required for each full page kite description? Were some companies more willing to pay than others? Does kiteboarding mag not like RRD? I know GB had a sweet ride on them last year. Perhaps it ended badly?

I may be stirring the poo here. But what is up with that??!!

Blair

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Just like windsurfing magazines, if the company does not lay out the cash for a big full page ad, they do not get much or any coverage in the gear guide issue. It happend a couple years ago with Gaastra sails.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:05 am

bdawg,
Maybe it's because we already did a review on the type7 on this forum, and Dave and I will do the reviews on the type hir. If you think about it the mag is only trying to fill in the gaps that we leave them. Didn't you know? It's all about us. Maybe next year we'll hold off on the early reviews and not steal their thunder.

Are you going RRD this year?
Dewey

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:05 am

Expecting a magazine to do objective reviews of its advertisers is like putting the fox on guard duty in front of your chicken house.
Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 am

It's a tricky business...

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 am

rumour is Cabal is out of the game.....with no national distibution, who is going to pay for the ads? We all need to thank Evan for keeping the west coast happy...

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:08 am

whitecap wrote:rumour is Cabal is out of the game.....with no national distibution, who is going to pay for the ads? We all need to thank Evan for keeping the west coast happy...
I thought that Evan is the new RRD guy for the U.S.. Is that wrong?
Dewey

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 am

dunno...ask him!

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:35 pm

dewey wrote:bdawg,
Maybe it's because we already did a review on the type7 on this forum, and Dave and I will do the reviews on the type hir. If you think about it the mag is only trying to fill in the gaps that we leave them. Didn't you know? It's all about us. Maybe next year we'll hold off on the early reviews and not steal their thunder.

Are you going RRD this year?
Dewey,

I dunno. I was watching you on what you were planning on getting. I didn't know you finially went with something. I will have to search for the reviews from you and Dave. Perhaps i'll hold out till the wind picks up so i can ride some of the new stuff out there.

Blair