'06 North Vegas Demo's

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Jeff Ruoss
Contributor
Contributor
'06 North Vegas Demo's

Post by Jeff Ruoss » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:20 am

I highly recommend anyone that is considering a different kite this year to try the new Vegas. Nicely built kite similar to last year but with some awesome new technology.

I have been running a 10 Vegas through the ringer here at Playa Copal in Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica and am very impressed. This sailing site is awesome for putting a kite through its paces. Anyone that has sailed here can vouch.

I have used this kite in 12 mph to 35 mph comfortably and taken it to gusts of 40. I have many witnesses including one on a sailboat that was calling out the wind readings from the anemoter on the top of the 40 foot mast. I used a 134 cm board thourgh this entire range and I weigh about 185 lbs.

I was using the kite on a 2005 5th Element bar. Using this bar you need to use the front line adjuster assembly to comfortably use the kite over 25 mph. To be clear all older technology kites only de-power to a short movement of the bar in and out and the front line adjuster is usually not used much at all. The front line adjuster makes a signifcant difference on this kite. The new 2006 5th Element bar also has the ability to move the front line adjster "on the fly" thus giving you different length of trim line if you so desire. This is a nice safety feature as well beacuse you can adjust it so that the bars moves far enought way from you that the kite deopwers to almost zero just by letting go of the bar.

While standing on the beach in about 20 mph of wind with the kite straight over head if you pull on the front lines the kite completely de-powers and luffs. It does not fall out of the sky just hangs up there with a slight flutter to the canopy. The first time I did this I thought it was because I was pulling the 5th line. This is not the case though as I did it a 2nd time with my hand on the frontline adjuster assembly only. Due to this kites ability to de-power using just the front lines is what makes it what it is.

Great wave kite as well. It floats back with you in onshore conditions as you carve down the face of the wave and is waitng for you on the bottom turn.

SUMMARY:

Definitely demo this kite before you buy another kite. Kite Wind Surf in Alameda will have a demo 12 in the next few days and I will be bringing the 10 back from Costa Rica soon.

My opinion is this kite is best suited for the intermediate and advanced rider. Not that beginners won't love this kite I just think there are other kites that are better suited.

If you are looking for a traditional shaped kite with the maximum wind range then this is it.

Jeff Ruoss
Kite Wind Surf LLC
430 Westline Drive
Alameda, CA 94501
Ph. - (510)522-9463
Email - jeff@kitewindsurf.com
Website - www.kitewindsurf.com

Kite Wind Surf, S.A.
The Kitehouse
Playa Copal
Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Ph. - (506) 676-1076
Email - jeff@kitewindsurf.com
Website - www.kitewindsurf.com

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:46 am

Thanks Jeff for the info!
I'm sure you are enjoying too much in Costa Rica!
I'd definitely want to try new Vegas. Are you going to get 5&7?
Andy, when wind is light I want to try 12m or 10m when Jeff is back. I have my 5th element bar I could use.

Can't wait for the season!!

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Hana...

Should be getting the 12m demo soon... Shoot me a PM or email and let me know when you'd like a try

Andy at Kitewindsurf dot com

Thanks

Jeff Ruoss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeff Ruoss » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:20 am

Add on from the first post.

I have been flying the 06 Vegas on last years bar until today. I do this to test JUST the kite.

When I switched to the 06 bar I found the 5th line was a little too long. While out sailing around I found the kite flew much better by pulling a few inchs of the 5th line. Came in and adjusted it and it flew about 15% better. Turnes faster with smoother depower and more control in high winds and more power in lighter winds.

In summary the control bar on these kites should be tuned up properly to get the full benefit of this kite design.

The wind is extremely difficult this morning. Ranging from 10 to 35 with 20 degree wind shifts definetly advanced sailing conditions. Toughest I have seen all season here.