05 WindWing Rage II 17m opinions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bigkahuna
Joey
Joey
05 WindWing Rage II 17m opinions?

Post by bigkahuna » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:13 pm

Howzit from Hawaii!

I just ordered an 05 Rage II 17m at WindWings clearance sale. Looked like a great deal and what I had read about WW sounded good. When I went to find rigging info for the kite I found a number of "less than positive" reviews of the 17m and it's got me a bit concerned.

What's the bottom line on the 17m? I've read nothing but good stuff for all the other sizes, what about the 17? I'm a solid intermediate level kiter, only into waves (no tricks) and looking for a stable, fast turning kite. Right choice or no?

I'm asking here 'cause nobody here on Oahu flies WW and I'm taking a chance by being the first...

Thanks!

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:56 pm

Hmm, fast-turning is not exacly how I'd call it but I would say that the 17m Rage2 is probably the worst kite ever as far as durability. Leading edge seam broke several times which eventually lead to it completely wripping along the seam. However, WW was nice enough to send a demo replacement after a month of nagging. After the first session on the demo one of the strut bladders burst (it looked like there may have been som debris in the sleeve). Now it's been 4 months later and I still haven't gotten a replacement bladder. They are "out of stock". Overall, I am not particularly impressed with the kite itself, however, considering that it's a pretty hefty piece of material I wasn't really putting that much faith into it in the first place.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:49 pm

panzerfaust wrote:Hmm, fast-turning is not exacly how I'd call it but I would say that the 17m Rage2 is probably the worst kite ever as far as durability. Leading edge seam broke several times which eventually lead to it completely wripping along the seam. However, WW was nice enough to send a demo replacement after a month of nagging. After the first session on the demo one of the strut bladders burst (it looked like there may have been som debris in the sleeve). Now it's been 4 months later and I still haven't gotten a replacement bladder. They are "out of stock". Overall, I am not particularly impressed with the kite itself, however, considering that it's a pretty hefty piece of material I wasn't really putting that much faith into it in the first place.
Wow that sounds like some bad luck. I haven't flown the Rage 2, but I did have a quiver of Outrages. I loved the kites, and they were the best made kites I've seen. They are a bit heavy and turn slow, but I loved the 17m. I was one of the first people on the water and held the kite until 18 knots. For the price I think that you'll like the kite.

panzerfaust,
Sounds like your kite put you through quite a ordeal. Did you ditch it?

BTW I'm selling my 17m and 12m Cheap!!
Dewey

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:49 pm

I have one and have gotten maybe 6 sessions on it. I was able to be out on the water when the only other kite was a foil. Given it's size, I was surprised at the ease of relaunch (because I was learning). I haven't had the trouble mentioned above (yet) but perhaps haven't had the chance to use it as much. I did have a strut seem burst on my 10 M, but WW fixed it in 5 days.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:31 pm

I don't have a 17M, and I have read the less than positive reviews as well. I just thought I'd chime in about my 14M Rage, which I flew alot this season. I have been using it all year with the SAFE system in place, and liked it overall. However, last weekend I flew it without the SAFE (long story) and found it to be much faster turning -- it turned as fast or faster than my 12M Airush.

So, long story short, if you find the 17 to be too slow with the SAFE system on, you might try it without -- although that does defeat part of the reason for buying a WW kite in the first place.
Paul

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 am

I have found the Outrage 10, 12 and 14 to be solid performers with all the characteristics you'd expect of a high aspect kite, powerful, great upwind, great air and hangtime and I've had no duraility problems with mine. I haven't had the 17m, but I'd think it would be the same overall as the 10, 12 and 14.

I would however recommend flying all the 05 Outrages or Rage II's without the SAFE bridles for the best performance and problem-free operation.

bigkahuna
Joey
Joey

Post by bigkahuna » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks for the replies. I searched here, the WindWing forum, kite-surf.com and kiteforum.com and the reviews are all over the place, from fantastic to crap. I'm hoping that most of the negative feedback has been because of problems with the "SAFE" system (which I don't really care about) and perhaps a few kites with weak stitching (that's got me most concerned). I called WW and was assured that if I do have problems with the kite that they will do "the right thing", so I guess I'll give it a try. Thanks again!