Gliding in 7mph in Flat Butter w/ a 12m Turbo Diesel...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular
Gliding in 7mph in Flat Butter w/ a 12m Turbo Diesel...

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:43 pm

Last Saturday I got out and rode around a bit and had a good time in 7-10mph wind, but in the presence of some small chop.... I found 10mph was about what I needed to stay upwind..

Today I got out at 5:15 and rode until 6:30 in the super shallow and totally flat (1 foot deep water) out in front of my place until it was dark out. The wind started out strong enough that I could ride my 134 board powered, but then began to drop.... At 6:00 the wind had dropped to 7mph on the sensor, but the water had no chop due to my super secret sandbar. Anyhow, the moral of the story is that I rode for 30 minutes.... able to go upwind in these conditions... It was amazingingly smooth and the crescent moon rose over the city as the sun set. When I was packing up I saw a shooting star.

I think that bigger kites offer torque needed to keep you going up and down chop, but that on super flat water like today, the board can just efficiently skim on the top of the water with very little resistance....

This is a match for my all time low wind (going upwind) record of 7mph with a 19.5 Contra.....(also in pretty flat water).... I remeber 3 years ago when I had to have full on whitecaps before my 15.5 AR5 would pull me along on a directional.... Now I am getting to enjoy days that have always been off limits as far as wind... 13mph is full on powered kiting now...

When it was time to land the kite, it was blowing so light that I just set the kites wingtip on the ground and it just sat on the beach until I walked over to get it...

I am very happy... and quite frankly getting lonely in my solo lightwind kiting adventures...

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Thats unbeliveable! 7mph on a 12m! What would happen on a 16m!
It looked too light on the sensor I didn't think you would go.
I still cain't belive 7mph! It must have made the skimboard effect in that shallow water.

I'll join you on light wind kiting once I get my licence. I'll be there during the week if theres even a chance of getting enough wind to stay upwind, which sounds like not much on that flatwater.
If in doubt, do it.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:02 pm

Looks like bow is the way to go at alameda. Thanks fr sharing the stoke Andy. Glad you could kite outside you place now on any winds.

Dewey
Dewey

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:40 pm

From what I'm hearing about the bows, they're going to help cut down on the traffic at Sherman when the wind picks up or dies off.

The bow kiters will just adjust their sheeting and keep kiting on their 12s while the rest of us C kiters come in to blow up our 10s or 14s.

More room on the beach for the C kite dinosaurs. Thanks, bow buyers!
Paul

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:11 pm

Pablito wrote: The bow kiters will just adjust their sheeting and keep kiting on their 12s while the rest of us C kiters come in to blow up our 10s or 14s.

More room on the beach for the C kite dinosaurs. Thanks, bow buyers!
Yep.
Me 70Kg, switchblade 9 does 15-30 comfortably and can probably go much higher. Just move the bar. Exceptional edging skills not necessary.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:21 pm

Andy this sound like we need another ligth wind challange at alameda. Now as everyone has a big board it will be interesting to see the smallest kite. Mine will be 16 for the season.

Best, G

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 pm

I think I have been lucky enough to combine the latest kite technology with the latest board technology... I never could have kited in as low of wind on a 12 traditional kite, or a normal board (non-Glide style) Combine the latest board technology with the latest board technology and the range is phenominal...

For what it is worth... I have been on the Glide in windy conditions and feel confident that I could hold a 12m Turbo Diesel and Glide in 30kts..... However.... I'd have tons more fun on a 8m with a 124 Jaime Pro board...

I strongly feel that a single bow kite will suit most people 90 percent of the time, although having multiple size will only increase the fun factor...

PS.. I have a video of me riding on an 8m TD in 18mph as well as a 12m in the same wind.... I tried posting it here but had not luck... Any ideas?

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:39 am

I was out at Alemada Underground FLX 132 and my Rapture I 15m. As the wind started to die and most of us were walking in Andy was going strong on his 12m bow and Glide. As I walking in I asked if I could give the Glide a try and he let me take it for a short ride. The board was pretty amazing. I got up and going up wind no problem. The board was very light and did not feel like a "Big" board. I may have to start saving my pennies for one.
Thanks Andy...
Last edited by marin on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:07 pm

Go Glid!

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Andy,

As you know, I was in in Baja (La Ventana) last week with my 12m Crossbow. I am now bigamous with regards to boards, and travelled with the Misfit 134 and the Glide (both Slingshot boards).

I confirm that one can kite with the Glide in higher winds using the Crossbow. I kited with it while 25 knot winds (as documented by the ikitesurf sensor) where blowing into the bay.

So the discussion is now not what kites to buy this season, but what boards to buy to complement the bow kites.

Incidentally, after having kited quite a bit with the Crossbow, I don't even feel the extra bar pressure anymore. In fact I like it since I have developed a very good sense as to what the kite is doing without looking at it. The mods that Yuri and others are talking about will dampen this feel that one can develop for the kite.

Finally, I am now pumping up the leading edge of the Crossbow to 8 psi, and have not had a single inversion.

So to misquote Oscar Wilde:
Bigamy is having one kite too many.
Monogamy is having one board too few...
Leo