Day in San Francisco

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
the-sn-man
Joey
Joey
Day in San Francisco

Post by the-sn-man » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:53 pm

I am a kiter from Canada (yes, we have water in the summer) and am going on a two week warm Carribean kite vacation, then pass thru San Francisco for business. I have one free day, Tuesday February 21. What's the wind predictions, heh, heh, heh!!! Seriously. Is it worth packing cold weather gear for a one day "chance" at that time of year. I am staying right downtown (Marriott) so travel logistics could be an issue too. My knowledge of where to kite is limited to your site and magazines.
Right now in my part of Canada we kite 4-5 days a week here on average. The snowy fields here are perfect right inside the city, 15 minutes from work or home so I've been a bit spoiled.

Dale Crawford
dcrawford33@shaw.ca

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Our good season is from March to October. Although we do get some windy days in the winter, the chance of having kiteable wind is about 10-15%, which will be so-so at best. You'll also need a rental car to drive to the windy spots as they are several miles from downtown SF.

My advice, forego the chance to kite in February and explore the many things San Francisco has to offer. Come back in May, June, July or August and you'll be almost guaranteed to find good wind.

Good luck!

Al

the-sn-man
Joey
Joey

Post by the-sn-man » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:57 pm

Appreciate the advice. Will enjoy San Francisco then. As for the summer, thanx but no thanx. The prairie winds blow very well for us here and the summers are unbeatable. My lake (one hour from home or work) is 30 miles across and about 100 miles long. Fresh water but other than that, much like the ocean with smaller waves (but still up to 6 feet or so on a nuclear day). Can't miss a day there.
You're welcome to come here though. The odds on wind are better as any direction will work on a lake 30 miles across.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:06 pm

I agree with Big Al.... Enjoy the city... but try and come back some day in the summer....

What lake are you talking about?