Need some help on spot search

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
felixhh
Joey
Joey
Need some help on spot search

Post by felixhh » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:05 am

Hi,

i'll stay in milpias for two weeks to work near tasmandrv from 20th
of januar till 4 of feb.
- i think about the option to take my kitestuff over the atlantic,
does it make sense or is it out of season ?
- does some of you know nearby spots ?
- just like to take my 13 fuel with me cause im a lazy one, is it too small or too big for this season ?
- witch locations are worth of a trip, with or without wind ?

thanks for any advice in advace

felix

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 am

Wind this time of year is very unpredictable -- storms only. If you really want to kite while you're here, you would need to bring all your kites, since the wind can be very strong or very light. Also, you need to be able to drop everything else you're doing to go. The wind can start up any time and last for just an hour or two.

I'd say it's not worth it, but that's just my opinion.
Paul

Ski waxer

Play time

Post by Ski waxer » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:49 am

If you have some free time to play, and want a session guranteed, you have 2 options:
1. Go surfing - you better bring your A game, be very good, as the surf is quite large this time of the year.
2. Go skiing/snowboarding - good conditions in Tahoe, both resort and backcountry.

Both of those will assure that you get a session. Kiting is a crap shoot this time of the year(meaning you may get some, but you may not).

Have fun, Zeev.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Z --
Now don't go getting the guy too excited about the snow. It's been a crap shoot so far this year, too. They're calling for rain tomorrow to 7000 ft.:evil:

Note to self for future ski seasons: Save the Utah trip for the end of the season. It's hard to get excited about CA freebase once you've tasted Wasatch Grade A blow.
Paul

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 pm

ZG in a rare post-holiday appearance? Did you get any of your stuff back?

Glass half empty

tahoe and others

Post by Glass half empty » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:58 pm

Pablito - bro, you just have to look for the gems....I"ll take a mountain that I KNOW really well and play there over a place where I am not as well schooled. I've been skiing Alpine area for over 10 years, and can ALWAYS find the gem. In the last series of storms, we skied some fine snow, including one day of sick light powder. You just gotta have faith and be willing to explore. Remember to enjoy the process of looking - attitude is very important.

Nope, none of my stuff has come back to me yet. No worries, it's just stuff. At least some of my ski stuff was in the house. The Gurs continue to play in the water - it's just frozen and over a few hills in the Granite Chief Wilderness Area ;-)

"Going where the climate suits my clothes" GD

Needed Some

Post by Needed Some » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:35 pm

thanks Z....

same gos for life...... and other sports.

"Remember to enjoy the process of looking - attitude is very important. "

Do you want to travle and sample the waters from a far..
or rip your own back yard to pices?

as always well put..

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:17 pm

Yeah, we wasted a few hours on Sunday at Squaw (yeah,yeah, inbounds) finding the spots where the snow hadn't gotten rained on or blow to ice by the wind. After that, it was pretty good. But I was still dreaming of the 5 feet of light fluff that we got while in Utah. I'll get over it. Beats working anyday.
Paul