Globerider Sonic's??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Globerider Sonic's??

Post by BrokenDC10 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 am

Anyone out there besides Evan (live2kite) flying the Globerider Sonics?

After spending 4 months reading reviews, etc on the kiteboarder forum (UK forum), I decided to bite the bullet and buy one.

First session that I had was at Doran Beach/Bodega with the 11m Sonic on Tuesday the 3rd.
All I can say is that I've never been happier to spend that kind of $$ on a play-toy.

Despite some posts that i've read, there was no "learning curve" with this kite. I felt comfortable on the first reach. Boosting higher than I ever have before - without even trying. And the float down from the jump was amazing - great hangtime.

Very curious to see how the 14m Sonic performs.

I got mine from Evan/Vangelis at Live2Kite. First time buying there and I only have good things to say about the experience (bought an Undergroung FLX 132 which I am really happy about, as well). Evan is a cool guy.

That's that.............thought I would give a quick review on this kite. :)

- Mark

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks for the mini-review. I think Dewey needs more choices before he buys a new kite. :wink: ](*,)

Just curious what kites you were riding previously?
Paul

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BrokenDC10 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:16 pm

I was riding the 2004/2005 RRD Type 6 9m, 12m,15m and a Gaastra GXR 19.5.

Already sold my 12m, and am currently trying to sell my 9m (anyone??) since the Sonic 11m takes care of it range-wise.

I have yet to check the low-end range of this kite, but I am going to Los Barilles on the 18th so I will get a chance. I'll let you know.

- Mark

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:28 pm

dude that 132....
nice stick!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Broken,
how much do you weigh?
I weigh 195lbs and would love to find a single kite that covers the same range as my current 10 and 12m kites. I would also love to find a bow like kite that has the same jumping (pop, height) characteristics of a med/high aspect C kite.

I will look forward to hearing more about the low end of the 11m GK vs. your 12m RRD.

cheers

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BrokenDC10 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm

I weigh about 170-175.

The Sonic 11m absolutely replaces my 12m. Already sold the 12m Type 6. 9m RRD currently for sale.

I am waiting to sell the 15m RRD........that is probably too much of a stretch for me.

I'll let you know about the low-end when I get back.

And yes, the FLX 132 is a killer stick.

- Mark

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:23 pm

I've heard nothing but good things about those Sonics too. Best design from those guys yet.

That said, I was never a huge fan of the Type-6 (especially the 15). My ZH-16 is far superior in every way. However, since I have a few friends riding the Type-7 now, I should point out that they are extremely versatile as well and seem to boost pretty darn well for a freestyle design. Plus, they can be ridden with the total de-power bar for safety if you so choose.

I just wanted to be sure that Dewey remained sufficiently confused. (Hey, now that I think about it, you are a pretty large fellow Mr. Dew-- why don't you just break down and get the HiR?) :mrgreen: Evan's got those too!
Go bigga'

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BrokenDC10 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:19 pm

fearlu,

I agree on the 15m Type 6. Worked fine until you would hit some larger gusts and then it had a tendency to "taco" a bit.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:08 pm

fearlu wrote:I've heard nothing but good things about those Sonics too. Best design from those guys yet.

That said, I was never a huge fan of the Type-6 (especially the 15). My ZH-16 is far superior in every way. However, since I have a few friends riding the Type-7 now, I should point out that they are extremely versatile as well and seem to boost pretty darn well for a freestyle design. Plus, they can be ridden with the total de-power bar for safety if you so choose.

I just wanted to be sure that Dewey remained sufficiently confused. (Hey, now that I think about it, you are a pretty large fellow Mr. Dew-- why don't you just break down and get the HiR?) :mrgreen: Evan's got those too!
Dave I love to boost, but I want to expand my horizons. That's why I'm looking at different kites. Ollie said that the type 7's boost almost as well as the Outrage. Still thinking about it......
Dewey

wavie

Post by wavie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:29 pm

i had the 11 sonic boosting sick air in tahoe a few months back, huge gusts.

I really would like to here about the 14 sonic.

the ww rap2 is a decent airtime kite also. let's face it, get above 13/14 and air is less doable on any kite, but the ww 16.5 so far beats my old buckets....need to try the new nemi's to confirm a new era though)