So what type of kite to choose???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:28 pm

Anonymous wrote:I don't use the RRD de-power bar personally, since I like full juice all the time (Z, ZH, HiR)

Ollie?
It will (should, don't see any reason why not) work with any 5th line kite. What you have is a 4-line bar with active 5th line sheeting capability.

Sheet out - shorten 5th line dumping power

Sheet in - release 5th line tension powering up kite

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Sitting next to my wife, who loved the TDB in Baja, she thinks it would be a bit wimpy to say anything on the net about how much she was loving the type 7 with the wave bar.

Funny thing though, at the end of the season, I traded my type 7 with the standard bar with Gabe, who had the type wave 12. Neither of us could get used to the other kite right off of the bat. First, we were both waay op, but I was not used to the 12 wave hanging op off of the 5th line, and he was not used to riding without the TDB. I really don't think Gabe wimps out when he rides, but you get used to enjoying the depower of the wave bar, and he wanted his kite back pretty quick.
Biased opinion: Ever meet anyone riding a certain brand that never switched back to their old favorites?

(Hint: the initials I'm thinking of are RRD...)
Dave - this is both of us, no? I am biased, as Alex is pretty much riding for RRD. The type 7 manages to please Brian, Alex, MG and myself, which is kinda nice.

The TDB should work with any kite. Simple to tune it up by changing the length of the fifth line. I have never ridden a bow, so I can't compare. We have heard from Zeev how much he loves the Vegas. Seems to me like the type 7 with wave bar gives you similar kite handling with the advantage of the depower. No, I have not taken out his Vegas, just based on his comments.

You know, you can rig your own TDB pretty easy. Go to West Marine and buy a small pulley and some stopper balls. Rig the 5th line through the bar around the pulley. Pretty easy, really....

Bob

Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:06 am

So the RRD TDP bar sheets on the 5th line, whereas traditional 4 line kites sheet the center (front) lines?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:54 am

Well, when you sheet out it lets the rear lines out same as any other bar, but at the same time, brings the 5th line in.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

Does the Type 7 take the same LE bridle for the 5th line that the TW does? It's like a "T", isn't it? Is that a special setup for the depower bar?
Paul

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 am

Does the Type 7 take the same LE bridle for the 5th line that the TW does? It's like a "T", isn't it? Is that a special setup for the depower bar?
Not really.....You can fly the type 7 without any bridle - just the fifth line coming from the TDB. They do have a cool setup that comes with the new wave 2 bar than includes a span line between the two front lines. This would be nice if you inverted your kite in the water - say a crash in the surf. I received an email from Simone who says the kite flys the same with or without the span line in about 80% of the conditions. If way op, the span line might help the shape.

We flew 7s from size 5 to 15 for seven days at La Ventana with and without the span line. Could not tell any difference......Might have helped the wound up 15.....(which is a sick kite that can be looped...)

Bob

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 am

I have always been a diehard slingshot fan but I hid my kite prejudice in anticipation for the Crossbow. It has alot of bar pressure and it isnt a one pump but I have never inverted the kite. It is fast jumps fine-I will say I think bow kites power is more proportional to bar position, but this may be personal experience from the kites I have flown. Bow kites are such a great feeling of comfort as they truly dump alot of power. I weigh 170 and I have been on that kite from 10-35gusts comfortably. Actually with my new big board it is and has been the only kite I bring to the beach. I sure do wish it had less bar pressure though. And the safety ball release isnt that bad. Even if it is loose you just develop a feel for how low you can let the bar go at before it pops the reride and if it pops it-so what you can fly the thing normally with the ball in or out, just don't let the bar fly out in the powerzone as thats where the bow kites are prone to collapsing and inverting.

hope that helps.
I was thinking of buying a 16.5 ww for my ultra low wind alameda kite next year.