Wake boarding with a Kite Surfer board??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
antonywegener
Wake boarding with a Kite Surfer board??

Post by antonywegener » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi,

I have been water skiing and wake boarding for years.
I am looking to start Kite Surfing, and want to know if I should get a Wake Board that I can use for both Wake Boarding and Kite Surfing, or if you can put wake boarding bindings on a Kite Surfer or just leave it as is for more of a recreational feel.

Please respond.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:58 pm

I never tried using wake board for kitesurfing, but the normal convention is that wake boards have too much rocker for kitesurfing. They are built to ride very powered all the time, therefore can be used in only in strong wind.

Having said that, they usually cost a quarter of a kiteboard, may worth trying.
Last edited by elli on Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionKite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by LionKite » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:16 pm

I tried kitesurfing with a 142 Byerlly wakeboard and I tried wakeboarding with my 140x40 RogueWave kiteboard and it `s not fun either way you look at it.
A wakeboard has too much rocker for kiting making upwindability a real workout.
On the other hand a kiteboard is lacking some rocker to properly have fun behind a boat even by putting on the smallest fin around you still got too much drag and edge to edge ,surface rotations, poping and landing become again a real workout.

Don`t get me wrong it is totally doable it just won`t be your best sessions...
The only board that is 100% compatible is a wake skate but it is definetelly not a good board to learn how to kitesurf

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:45 pm

I have a north dragon and its lots of fun behind the boat, the only thing is your feet come out of the straps really easy so I would recomend in getting boots or getting the martin tech M1 footstraps. Anyway as far as kiting goes, caint go wrong with the dragon, its a great allaround board.
PM me if you have more specific questions.
If in doubt, do it.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:57 am

One thing about kiteboard design that makes riding behind a boat tough is if the board has a concave bottom. My kiteboard has a concave bottom and while its totally awesome for kiting (I'll never go back to a flat board) when ever I've tried to wake board with it I have to be sooooo carefull not to catch the front edge or I eat it big time..... The concave bottom board is not susposed to be ridden flat.... but its still fun to go for a tow every now and then when there is no wind..... Also sandal bindings while good for kiting make wake boarding more work.....

bhsu

Post by bhsu » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:01 pm

ive actually used both wakeboard and kiteboard behind a boat and behind a kite. one thing i noticed is if the water is choppy behind a boat the kiteboard was easier and i actually prefer the footstraps better behind the boat. but definatly a wakeboard is not good behind a kite upwind ability is terrable and ive noticed wakeboards tend to be heavier than kiteboards.

merry X-mas everyone.

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:12 pm

I agree w/ bhsu, the straps have their advantages behind the boat, such as when you fall, you dont get your face slaped.
If in doubt, do it.