Alameda Rain Kiting

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
exsailor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by exsailor » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm

Any chance that we'll get kiteable winds at Alameda tomorrow? Forecast doesn't look too promising anymore, but I'm going to be out near Alameda in the afternoon anyways...

BTW, I was checking the ikitesurf meters today and noticed Angel Island hit 80+mph gusts. I thought it was just acting up, but then was reading the NOAA report today and apparently it was right:
:shock:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO CA 331 PM PST THU DEC 1 2005

.DISCUSSION...SFC OBS...RADAR...AND LIGHTNING DETECTION CONTINUE TO INDICATE STRONG CONVECTION MOVING ONSHORE. RAINFALL TOTALS HAVE BEEN MODERATE TO HEAVY THIS AFTERNOON. QUITE A BIT OF LIGHTNING ACROSS THE DISTRICT...ESPECIALLY SINCE THE MOISTURE IS TROPICAL IN ORIGIN. WINDS HAVE BEEN THE BIG STORY THIS AFTERNOON WITH GUSTS EXCEEDING HURRICANE FORCE ON ANGEL ISLAND...82 MPH GUST. WIDESPREAD GUSTS OVER 50 MPH HAVE ALSO BEEN OBSERVED...UP TO 74 MPH AT THE CALAVERAS RD RAWS SITE. INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT THE MTN LOCATIONS HAVE NOT HAD STRONGER WINDS THAN THE LOW ELEVATIONS.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:57 pm

ya me too, wiLd sTuFf!
i think there is going to be wind, but not like today.

the way we were BlOWn off the water i wonder if the sesers would pick up short strong blast..?seemed more then 42 at the time
angles ave was69 at the time....
the strong currents at alameda are a tatle tail to big wind outside
charlie

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:10 pm

that explains why big rigs were not alowed on the richmond bridge after a tanker truck flipped by San Quenton village.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:32 pm

Afterwards at Alameda this morning I mentioned that next time I would probably tend to come in earlier. When it came up so much so fast I thought I'd stay out a few more minutes to huck off a few fat airs, but with gusts up to and possibly beyond 45 on a 12, a good recipe for safety that does not make.

Well, I guess that's winter storm kiting for you, but for all you storm riders, double check your safety releases and gear before heading out, it could make all the difference!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Ahhh - nothing like ending the day with a truck load of wet, sandy gear! Kited another Bay Area spot that likes south winds today. Managed to find a 10 minute window with no rain that allowed me to change into my wetsuit and rig up, but once on the water, it started pouring. It let up for awhile, but as expected, right as I came to the beach the sky opened up again. It's pretty comical trying to get out of a wetsuit with numb hands while crouching inside the shell of a pickup in the dark!

Fun session, though. Now - come on clearing winds - I have kites that need drying!

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:55 pm

Had a great session today on a 14m at Alameda from 4 till sunset.... Wind seemed pretty steady all in all... my feet got a little cold, but not that bad... Pretty good for December kiteing...

The sickest things was angel island's wind report... 68 mph with gusts over 75...... ZOIKS

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:06 am

charlie

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 pm

Yeah I was out there yesterday with Andy.

I left school at 2:45 (20 min earlier than usual)
When we got to the beach it was like 15mph And we riged up pretty quick
I helped someone launch then I was ready myself.
Andy launched me and I headed out (my 6th time on the water)
When I got out far enough I fumbled around with my board for a while
I got going but there was a lot of shop and I caught an edge. (havent ridden it 2 months)
When I got back to my board I was more focused and I was ready.
I made some good attemps at keeping upwind but I still wasn't used to the chop. Thats when Andy comes behind me and asks me to follow him.
All of a sudden I'm charging upwind and keeping a good amout of board speed. I start feeling more comforatable and start to do little hops off the water with my kite at 45. At this point I'm going upwind without thinking.
(Its pouring buckets around this time)
I spot a 2 foot ramp and send my kite......I love this sport.....It felt like I got 15ft of air but it was probably not even six.
All of this happened between at most 3:50-5:20pm December 1st
Once I'm in the warm car with my loyal mother that standed in the rain for an hour to watch me. We are low on gas so we hit the Chevron.
I get out and fill our Ford Expedition in my board shorts and Led Zeppelin T-shirt with no shoes, its pouring down and I'm completly comforatable.
People are staring, but thats okay

Definitely a best session day
Thanks again Andy for helping me out and making this possible

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:19 pm

VanSimms,
THAT is a cool story, I LOVE YOUR STOKE!!
I remember a day or two like that with my MOM, (BLESS HER HEART!!!) only I was a little surf rat back then...I used to jump in her V.W. van freezing my nuts off, she'd warm me up then she'd send me back again. MAN I WISH I HAD A CHICK LIKE THAT TODAY!
Keep up the good work, but remember when to say when. Pull the rip cord sooner rather then later! This shit can eat you up....
Enjoy, L.M.G.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:25 pm

I am still thinking of how fast the squoll came in.
I am amazed that our 12 / 13m kites took so much wind (45+) w.out shredding to pieces.
At least I got a couple of good airs (lofts) before we rushed back to shore and quick released for dear life.
Good fun!
Evan