Baja UPDATE

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:46 am

Your going to dig it there OG!

Don't overlook the downwinder potential (where riders who try to rationalize their blind transitions are nowhere in sight :mrgreen: )

But seriously, the best riding I had there was between the Hot Springs and the campground. I would NEVER steer you wrong my friend! It's worth the drive/shuttle. (Keep the thread going for the right reasons will 'ya?)

DL

baja area?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:43 pm

maybe b.a.k. needs a baja area?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:49 pm

DL,

The downwinder as you described has made it high on my priorities of kiting activities while there. The 21st through the 28th on this month. One week of pure kiting bliss and relaxation. Ahhhhh....

I just need Elli to come back from CR soon with my "golf" bag...

I will be a good ambassador and bridge the gap between north and south while there...maybe I'll bring some t-shirts to give away to some of the locals.

Andres, what's your size?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:28 pm

nice.

Ollie G

La Ventana Report

Post by Ollie G » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:04 am

Hey all,

So I've been remiss in posting any Baja Updates ascomputer time at Baja Joe's is tough to get, but here's what's up...

Flew in Saturday, got a car and high tailed it to La Ventana travelling soley by Big DL's excellent directions. When passing Los Barrilles, I seriously considered stopping to kite, but Dave's instructions were to not be distracted and power on to LaV, which I did. Good advice, as it was good to get settled in first and then hit the water. I missed the turnoff at the palm grove to hit the dirt road, but quickly backtracked and found it OK. Flying down a dirt road for 15km made for pretty interesting driving. As D mentioned, controlled drifts were the norm.

I didn't expect to kite Saturday, but got in early enough to get settled and pump up a Type 7 12 and kite for a few hours before dinner and early sleep. Sunday and Monday also proved to be great days with long sessions juiced up on both 10m Type Wave and 12m Type 7. Lots of riders out. Tuesday was a mellow down day with lots of cloud cover and light winds.
It's been a little chilly, but Today looks much warmer and the winds look promising. Lots of familiar faces and some new kiting friends too. Everyone's super mellow and friendly. There was a North crew here shooting some footage and there's some other good riders out also.

I can see why there's been such a run on property here in the last year or two!

Hope you guys are getting some winds up there!

Ollie

P.s. No right of way problems encountered on the water yet!

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Baja

Post by BrokenDC10 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:02 am

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in:

Left SFO 1/18 Wednesday to Cabo for 6 days down at Los Barilles.

Here's the breakdown:

18th: Got to Los Barilles in time to catch 2 hours of great kiting before the sun went down. Everyone on 12m's.........I was on my Sonic 11.

19th: Off day.........no wind. Just chilled out and checked the town out - my first time there.

20th: I believe it was 7m to 12m all day. I was on my Sonic 11m. Yep, it handled 7m conditions. I am 170 pounds.........my buddy is 180 and he was on a 7m powered up.

21st: Throughout the day 10m to 14m. Me on Sonic 11m.

22nd: We went up to North Beach. All other days were just upwind of Vela. Wind was 10m to 14m. This was a great day to check the low-end of my Sonic. I have to say that I'm impressed. The same friend of mine was on his 14m at times with his 8 foot surfboard while I was fully powered on the Sonic 11m. The range is trully amazing.

Came home on the 23rd. Great trip! Will definitely do this again.

- Mark

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:35 am

Sonic 11 = one kite quiver?
Paul

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 am

thanks for the report, as it is nice to compare your days to the wind at baja joes for the same period. Seems to track pretty much the same at both spots.

I am headed to Rancho Buena Vista next year....

Bob

BrokenDC10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BrokenDC10 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:41 am

Sonic 11m = one kite quiver

Yep. I will be buying the 14m as well for those really really light days when I need a fix. Sonic worked great. The safety of the kite is so incredible that I would give the kite over to my son to learn if he was of age. Something I wouldn't have felt comfortable with on traditional C-kites.

I will never go back.

- Mark