OB Staurday KGB??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dewey
Old School
Old School
OB Staurday KGB??

Post by dewey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:45 pm

Okay so I've never been on the ground board at OB, so a couple of questions. Looks like there has been wind all day today, and tomorrow low tide is happening at 2:30 with a tide of 1.52. So for all the OB locals what time is good to start kiting on the beach, and what part of the beach is the best? Any info I could get would help. I may also teach a friend how to kite on the landboard that day, so I need space for him to crash.

Dewey
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:51 pm

You need tide below 3'.
Tomorrow (Sat) tide is good from 11AM till sunset (5PM).
If the wind is mostly from the north, you may have to do the downwinder. Kite south until Sloat Ave and take the bus back (at least a mile).

If you want a downwinder park as north as possible (around Fulton st). If you want space, park where the south end of GG park meets the beach (the west end of Lincoln) on the beach parking area. The area south of this spot has less people and wide beach.

I put some more info here (maybe should move it somewhere else?)
https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/vie ... c&start=45

See you there if I don't go to Alameda to get wet (Me normally with Flysurfers)

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:55 pm

A link to where we normally park:
Beach parking at south end of GG park
Around that spot (little north and south) you have nice terrain.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks Elli!! I doubt I'll be doing a down winder, because I'll be teaching my friend. I'm used to kiting in very small area's. If it's blowing 20 I'll be on my 2m WW. If less than that I'll be on the 4m.
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:56 pm

If the wind tomorrow is the way it was today I might bail. My smaller foil is a 4m.

Today I tried Alameda around 5PM and the wind was nasty, about 5-20 gusts according to the meter. Saw the kite flip and power up a few times.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:54 pm

Today was tail-end of the storm; tomorrow is clearing winds in the wake of the storm. Hopefully it will be less up and down, but the forecast is looking strong for sure -- 20-30 at the coast.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:18 am

I was out on the skateboard yesterday in winds from 0-30. It can be fun to go from, trying to keep the kite in the air, to full on 30mph gust. My poor wife had to watch me and she was scared the whole time. The wind was nasty.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:55 pm

What can I say? Today was epic. I could go a couple of weeks without kiting now no problem. November 26 at OB, macking double overhead on 12's and 10's and everyone was killing it. Got out to OB around Noon and we were out on the water just past 1 and it was sick. 3 solid hours on the water with friends and familiar faces in macking OB surf?! I thought it was a pretty big day out and the swell and waves on the outside were big. The sets were pretty widely spaced and the wind was solid.

Most memorable moment: Way outside in double overhead I crashed a Type Wave 10 after catching an edge right before a peaking wave and was able to hold tight through the rinse cycle and relaunch the kite after me and the kite had been tossed through another double and blazed bodydragging in to shore looking and waiting for my board for a bit only to look to my left and see it on the shore, like somehow it made it to shore before I did.

Most fun moment: Heading out jumping and hopping over endless waves getting past all the breaks out into the big swell and powering back upwind and dropping in heelside toward shore at Mach 1 on a peeling double overhead and looking over my left shoulder and seeing breaking whitewater about 6 feet above me, with the wave at the same angle as me trailing about 1 foot behind. Everything went perfect and it was probably the biggest and longest wave I'd ever ridden at OB.

Thanks wind!!! =D>

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:40 pm

wave riders o my!!
sounds FaT
Last edited by charlie on Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:04 pm

Charlie,
You gotta try it! The trick is not to watch the guys for very long, just long enough to get the strategy down.

One of the coolest things I have ever done, right up there with tree skiing in deep powder. Become one with the waves, the board, and the kite. Zen meets adrenaline.