Airush's new bow kite??? (Or forecast & current events)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:16 pm

Pablito, if you make the call for Stinson, I'd like to come and tag along. I'll be your personal kite bitch if you let me borrow your mt board :)

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:54 pm

I'll bring the MTB board.

If the forecast comes through, I'll be shooting to hit Stinson by noon. I'll keep you posted. If no wind at Stinson, then OB with the MTB.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm thinking OB with the mountian board on Saturday. Paul are you in. We could ride together. Ollie I'll bring the wine.
Dewey

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:19 pm

Pablito wrote:There is no financial support for a magazine or website that does objective, critical research comparing kites side to side.
Actually I read some good reviews in the past from German magazines. They do it the German way ñ go down to the details and actually compare and choose winners (and obviously loosers). They rank every aspect of the kites against each other with points. I never saw stuff like that in English magazines, but I heard the Aussie magazine is along the same lines.

They do "Uber kite tests" once in a while and compare a lot of kites. Last one someone translated briefly the Crossbow and the Flysurfer Speed won in a tie in an uber test that included kites from North, Naish, Takoon (Nova) and maybe more. They were actually pretty far from the rest (the Nova was smashed by the crossbow). You can see results for hang time, turning speed upwind, relaunch and a lot of other things.

Unfortunately I cannot read German because it seems like very useful stuff. An uber bows test would be nice, they will probably do that soon.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Dewey,
I really want to try kiting in the (little) waves at Stinson but at OB the water seems scarier. So I'll probably head there unless it seems the wind there isn't going to be good, in which case I'll go to OB. I'll touch base with you on Saturday morning, 'cuz if we're both going to OB it would be good to carpool.

I'm waiting for someone (hint: The "jovial Russian fellow") to chime in with his forecast for the weekend, but I'm sure he'll play it safe and wait until sometime Friday.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:12 pm

Guys,

Remember, the nice thing about OB is that you only have to go out as far as you want to, the inside is shallow with lots of butter. If you have solid upwind skills, you can have lots of fun and challenge yourself by kiting in the flats, whitewater and waves.

I'd love to go to Stinson, but it seems like it's always hit or miss there and at this time of year I'm going to try for a sure thing. But who knows what will happen? Not the NWS. ;)

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:04 am

Okay, I'm in for OB on Saturday if the wind cooperates. Josh, you comin'?

Dewey, I'll call you on Friday.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:02 am

Sounds good. I'm going to work on the Mountain board. I still don't have a good wetsuit. Paul I used to bodyboard at OB all the time. It's not that bad in the water until it gets overhead. Then you need to have some ocean skills. You need to watch from the beach to learn what the water is doing. OB can have some nasty rips (good for getting out to the lineup) and some currents that go in different directions. Once you learn how the break works you could use all these to your advantage. Like Ollie said it's pretty mellow on the inside. Just don't go down it a rip.

Talk to ya soon
Dewey

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 pm

Pablito wrote:Okay, I'm in for OB on Saturday if the wind cooperates. Josh, you comin'?

Dewey, I'll call you on Friday.
Ya, I think I'll make it out there.