stolen gear from Oakland

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:15 pm

I think I speak for us all in saying that I hope the person responsible goes to a hell full of kiters who had all their gear ripped off and who haven't gotten any wind in a thousand years.

Parakeet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Parakeet » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:53 pm

Zeev,

Damn it!ÖIím sorry your precious toys have been taken away by some evil thief. I didnít see the new 2006 kite(s) you said you were getting in your list, so maybe you already have some new toys coming your wayÖsince youíre well familiar with the Aero IIís (old school as they may be), youíre welcome to use my 10m until your quiv is replacedÖSay, all that $$ that Johannaís been saving from my cursing and your bribing for soccer game hall passes should be enough to buy a new 7 meter!

Parakeet

grateful rider

Post by grateful rider » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:40 pm

wow guys, thanks for your empathy and the gear offers, I'll be taking you up on that!! You are all cool w/kites getting a bit cleaner from the white water, right? right....

Dave - I am the new Toyota team rider!!!Prius @ cost, yipeeee =D> ....

Truck was @ home, on street behind the home, no alarm. We live on top of hill next to redwood park.....thought it was safe :cry: . Insurance is a tough call: have deductible and once you report loss, your rate goes up.......

Wish they would have told me they need a truck: I would have unloaded all the fun gear and wash the truck to make the ride more pimped out...I guess they needed that stuff more then me..... :?:

I'm sure if we just had a few more low income outreach programs, the ones that re-distribute our income ;-)....gotta laugh at this type of shit...there is a positive to everything....The positive is these guys are stimulating the kite industry, since you know I will be shortly addressing my equipment challenges.

Good winds, Z.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm

Z I have a new 04 14m curl, and a 10m V4 (less new) that you could have. Thrash it if you want. Karma comes around. When I was missing a kite you filled my quiver.

Dewey
Dewey

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:25 am

Oh man, that blows, I'm sorry to hear that. it reminds me of earlier in the season when I go to my car to find a broken window and my empty laptop bag missing. Thankfully noone looked in the trunk as it was full of kites both mine and a friends. I wouldn't imagine they would try to sell the gear so there is always a chance that the gear will still be there when they recover your car.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:13 am

The chances that the person whom stole your stuff is a kiter is very slim. So I might think of places that a dumb ass would try and sell a bag full of nylon material. Flea market comes to mind. There is the berkeley one at shattuck bart and the Laney college parking lot on weekends. Craigslist is an obvious one and ebay. Good luck with everything.

Amongst all else, your situation has proven that us kiters got eachother's backs.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:43 pm

So, do you guys think we really need to worry about buying stolen kites on Craig's List, Ebay or Ikite? I think the flea market is the best bet. Kinda like that King Missile song about the guy with the detachable...

Kawika
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kawika » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:35 am

Wow, I'm really bummed to read this, too. I was already bummed to read the details, but when I got to the signature, I said aloud, "Aww...Zeev!"
The good news is that like the others here I imagine they wanted the ride, not the nylon. I'll be thinking Good Thoughts about their recovery. Hang in there.

PS: It is very uplifting to see the gang here rallying around the troubles of a member. This is a fine tribe, indeed!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:11 pm

aim sorry to hear that, back in september i got my rrd kites type 6
10 and 13 stolen out of my car on tresure island plus my bag, harness and brand new wetsuite.
all i have to say is
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.
that person would be a fool if any of your stuff showed up in the kiteboard
community that we have here.

Livin' in Oak Town

Lessons learned

Post by Livin' in Oak Town » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:34 pm

Toll all my kite bros/sisters - thanks for your kind offers to loan me stuff so that I don't miss any sweet days. It's incredible to have such a close community of people who know what really matters.

Lessons I have learned from this experience:
1. Only keep stuff in your car you are ok getting stolen - in speaking with police and insurance people, there is no way to prevent car theft. Not lojack, club alarm. If they want your ride, they will take it. I made the mistake of "living" out of my truck: kept my shades in there, sport equipment, extra work clothes, sweet dead tapes, etc. Even though it's a pain, take your stuff out of the vehicle if you park anywhere you are not 100% sure of. This is the price we pay for living in an urban area.
2. Understand your insurance police - any limitations on sport and/or water equipment? Before you buy that policy, I would understand and if there is a limitation, change it. You will be suprised how fast stuff adds up when you have to replace EVERYTHING.
3. NEVER LEAVE YOUR WALLET IN VEHICLE.
4. Pay all your insurance premiums on time, and send you insurance broker a holiday gift!!!
5. When dealing w/adjusters, realize that they are people. Treat them how you like to be treated. It's amazing how much they can help you.
6. Keep all phone numbers and account numbers: credit cards, insurance policy - in an accessible location.

Good winds, Zeev.