Dillema Dillema

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Dillema Dillema

Post by panzerfaust » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm

so I've got a few grand burning a hole in my pocket as we speak and I'm trying to decide on a couple of good kites for the winter outing to mexico and next season.

I'm really bow-curious but at the same time I'm not too convinced about them. I would love to hear some opinions on this. So far it is between a 12 and 9m Rapture2 or a couple of North Vegas kites. I'd love to hear your opinions guys and make it as long as you feel sufficient.

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:10 pm

Panzerfaust,

I was in a similar situation as you not too long ago, had couple grand, didn't know what to buy? I was also interested in the BOW's and was fortunate to try them (fortunately) as I realized they weren't for me. I even drove 3.5 hours to Tahoe to demo the 11M GK Sonic and also tried the 12M Crossbow. They're nice kites, but I just didn't like them enough to pull the trigger. If rode I waves or lived in a place that had really gusty winds, I probably would've bought one. I have not tried the Rapture2's so I can't comment on how they compare to the other two.

Then I tried a 06' SS Octane and my mind was made up after one session. The kite had everything I wanted, light bar pressure, great upwind, quick turning, fast flying, great lift and hang time, etc...you get the point. In short, the performance was wayyy better than that of the BOW's . Also a somewhat forgiving kite for all that performance. Much more forgiving than my old Best Nemesis. And supposedily they have huge range, although I haven't had the chance to test that yet. So I ended buying a 14M Octane and a 10M RRD ZH on closeout. I've had one session on the 10 ZH and really like it. You can still get ZH's at great prices.

Also, the 06' Slingshot bar is probably the best in bar in the industry for safety and fine tuning your kite for added range. It has a very good quick release on the CL and two oh shit handles. The 5th line is trimmable and you can even release it in case your kite flips over and gets wrapped around the 5th line. You can also change the size of the CL .

Either way, you can't go wrong with any kite you get these days. Good luck.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:05 am

thanks for the comments Al. This is precisely what I'm thinking. The bows are surely nice when you actually need to handle such a great wind range however I also think that this must come at a price in other areas of the flight characteristics that it may be lacking. Those are the things that I'm looking for, essentially, someone talking me out of buying a bow. Given that winds in the bay area are generally steady enough where a neccessity for a bow may not be justified. I've been flying WW rage2s this past season and they are very nice but I think I'm looking for something with a little more bite. On the other hand I'm not sure if I want a hight aspect kite such as the Outrage, maybe something in betweeen the two which is the reason why the Vegas came to mind.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 am

Another ZH lover. The first one's always free.
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:27 am

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a couple of kiters locally who are very stoked with their bow kites, so what may not work for some appear to work very well for others. The Rap2 12m has just arrived and I've only had the opportunity to fly it for a couple short sessions in light to moderate winds, so I can't comment on it completely yet, but so far my impressions are oddly enough virtually identical to Al's: "light bar pressure, great upwind, quick turning, fast flying, great lift and hang time, etc." which he says were characteristics not present in the Xbow and GK bows he flew....

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:06 am

Yeah, I flew the 12m Rap2 on the beach when Will was here but since I didn't bring any of my gear I didn't get a chance to actually ride it. Duh, I don't know what I was thinking. In either case I definitely need to try them out. Does anyone have the Octanes for demo in the area?

D.

Post by D. » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:39 am

You don't need a bow kite, I saw you holding down my fuel 15 for hours while I was riding the 11 that windy day at Alameda last month!

Kite lover

Post by Kite lover » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:20 pm

First of all let me be 100% clear about my bias (we all have one, I just like to be open about it): I'm 220#, like to ride everywhere (waves, flat water - anywhere the wind blows) and belive in having the right equipment for the conditions - I ride two boards, a custom wave board and a custom twin tip, both made by John Amundson.

Last year, I also wanted to upgrade my kit. Flew pretty much EVERY Kite that I was able to get my hands on - which is almost every kite out there.

Bow vs. C kite: I like where bows are pushing the design side of the sport, but for our area - where we have such steady winds, if you are past the early intermediate range - I don't see the value of the bow kites. Plus, in my opinion, bows have a way to go before they are ready for prime time.

Now for what I like in a kite: steady pull through all parts of the window. This means when I crank it into a bottom turn, I don't want a spike of power or a hole in power - just steady constant pull so that I can set my rail and carve hard. Same with kiteloops, hooked and unhooked, no suprised please.

I want fast turning kite, but not on crack so that if my hand is a bit off I get spanked. I like to feel my kite: not a heavy bar pressure, but I like to know where it is w/out having to look at my kite. I like good boost and smooth landing. I want good low end so that I can plane when it's light wind, and good depower - meaning the kite should steer well when depowered.

I want a kite that I can depower prior to coming out fo the chicken loop for unhooked tricks. I want a kite that when I drop it and/or let go of the bar - some unhooked moves generate a lot of power (yeah) - I want an effort free relaunch.

I want a kite that is easy to self lauch and land. I want good build qulity. I want a kite that does note take to long to get dialled. I want a kite that irons out gusts and makes the wind feel like warm butter. I want a kite that enables me to improve my skills as a kiter - give me feedback and enable me to polish, over and over.....

For me that kite is the North Vegas. I got a quiver of the 2005's. As soon as I can, I am buying the 2006 Vegas. I think that Ken Winner is one of the few people in the kite industry who really does research. The product that comes out relfects that research - it's killer stuff.

If you so choose, you will be very happy with the Vegas kite. There is a reason you see so many of them in the air - they work flipping great!!!!

I also happen to side with Ollie about "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"........Hope you are enjoying having a few gees ($) burning holes in your pockets, nice problem to have.

Good winds, Zeev.

"If you plant ice,
You are going to harvest wind"
The good old Grateful Dead

Vegas lover

Post by Vegas lover » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:57 pm

You cant go wrong with the 05 vegas they are great kites(some said the best this year), excelent for new skool triks and unreal in the waves , maybe not as high of a jumper than the Octane but way more forgiving and a better low end
I have a 8,10,12 and have tried 14,16 and 18 and personally love the 10 and the 12 and I have heard that the 7 is relly good but they are sold out of them
Good luck

VL

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:19 pm

This is great information guys, I really appreciate your opinions because buying a kite is one of the toughest decisions for me. I also think the Vegas is what I'm looking for on paper based on what I've read about it.