Anybody Baja bound after Turkey-day?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident
Anybody Baja bound after Turkey-day?

Post by fearlu » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:02 pm

Anybody heading to BCS after Thanksgiving through maybe 12/15?
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:18 pm

How is the wind for that time D?

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Maybe, have to see how it goes with the other half. Is there any place around there to surf (waves)?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:35 pm

Season is underway by then but it's the Baja on-off deal. Not as predictable/reliable as the Delta or Maui in the summer, but it beats storm-chasing. The main benefit? Anti-civilization for the spiritual recharge. Waves? Pacific side at Abreojos or Punta Conejo are the best bets. No waves in LaVentana but plenty of WW demos it sounds like! I just need to get outta' Dodge and Baja offers plenty of windsport friends, fresh fish and cheap beer. Snorkeling at Las Arenas and mountain biking/dirt bike riding are other alternatives if it's not blowing. Then there's always Lord Black's in La Paz for some culture! There is also some killer hiking that I've been turned on to there but I forget the name of the canyon I visited. Even just chillin' at Joe and Angie's beats the rat race I guess! This wind withdrawal is brutal, eh? If I see that "Pacifico" ad one more time...
Go bigga'

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:56 pm

Surf is for her, for me flat is better. Hope the surf is close by.

I am trying to check tickets, which airline goes there (La Paz)?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:08 pm

In BCS, the (more) reliable wind is on the Gulf of California side; the waves are on the ocean side. It's at least an hour and a half drive from one to the other.

In La Ventana there is a small surf break about a 20 minute walk down the beach from town where 4-6 surfers were riding every day that I was there. The surf is predictably rideable -- but pretty tiny -- until the wind starts, around 10 am most days.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:04 pm

I checked cheaptickets.com for the summary of choices and decided just to fly to SJD and rent a car. I remember last time that after I spent a couple hun' on cab-fare from LaPaz to LaVentana and back it's a better deal to rent a car, add a litte driving and be totally mobile. Airfare to SJD is cheaper and absorbs a portion of the car cost. I'm booked for two weeks in early December.

Ollie, can you guess my next question? Yup! (Your favorite beer is what again?) If you don't mind that is...
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:26 pm

fearlu wrote:

Ollie, can you guess my next question? Yup! (Your favorite beer is what again?) If you don't mind that is...
For those who don't know, Bay Area Kiteboarding is home to the resident community NSI Deceiver Golf Bag. It's kind of like the Travelocity Gnome. It's been on as many trips with me as without.

Dave, you're welcome to it. I don't foresee being able to get out of town that soon. Might be late December or January for me. No increase in rent on the big though....PM me and we'll try and meet up.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:27 pm

How many hours is the drive? Can you do it in one day?

E

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:15 am

I think the drive is about three hours from SJD to LaVentana if I recall correctly. And, yes, OG I knew the NSI bag was aching for a trip south! Many thanks (but be careful now that the rental policy is public!)
Go bigga'