Kiting around Sonoma

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:09 am

Yeah, at low tide you might come across some leftover naval ordinance from the old days. Talk about "explosive kiting manuevers" :shock:

Keep us posted. If you went out there today, you could probably do some kiting, according to the forecast...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:19 pm

There was a posting on iKite that made me look this up. Anyone interested in doing some scouting in the next couple weeks?

Maybe this coming Saturday?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Josh,
I spent a little time last week "scouting" around Vallejo. When you say "scouting", do you trying to kite, or do you mean driving around looking for locations. I think the only potential site for launching is just north and west of Hwy. 37, just past the bridge. It's about 100 yards from the road to the water.

The only problem I can see, which may be substantial, is that the launch is upwind of the riding area, primarily (the bridge is not too far upwind). That means that you would probably want to head downwind a bit after launching and then work your way back upwind. So, if the wind dropped off, you might not be able to get back upwind. It's walkable back for a fairly good distance, but the walk might take a while (there's no road along the shore like there is at Sherman).

The other issue is whether or not the "marsh turf" or whatever it is along the shore is a good surface for laying out lines. It's not tall grass or anything, but it's not sand, either.

Anyway, I'd be up for checking it out on a Sunday, but I'm working on Saturdays for a while.
Paul