Q-Power and Crossbows don't match!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:06 pm

My 21M got eaten by a wave. I had a 5th line leash and it got wrapped around the kite, during a lull, as the kite went down. The surf wasn't that big (3 ft), but by the time I got to shore, I was missing an entire section of panel. Good news was It wasn't a big deal to repair. Next time, if your kite does go down, do your best to swim like hell towards your kite because IMO it is usually the tension in the leash/lines that instigates a lot of the damage.
Arcs can get messed up in the surf too, but it's usually just the spars that break.
I usually try to keep my kites in the air (unless lulls prevent this). Even if I eat it on a wave, I just hold my breathe, close my eyes, push the bar all the way out, and feel where the kite is by the bar pressure, try to stear it near zenith, and wait the wave out. Arcs are really good in this respect, because of their auto zenith. These days, I actually prefer being in the washing machine with a kite than without (surfing). But once upon a time kite + waves used to scare me.
-bric

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:07 am

personally when I get dunked in the washer I pull the bar all the way in because I find the kite more predictable and easier to locate in the window without being able to look at it then when it is sheeted out where the kite just want to drift on the edge of the window and fall out the sky

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:51 am

BLackbird...Are you a heavy guy?

You seem to be the unlucky test pilot for the xbow. I have had zero issues with that kite since I bought it. I weigh 165-170. I have been kiting for 2 years on water and 4 years on land, never broke anything but a steering line after 2 years of constant jumping.

From your stories you seem to ride that thing in super gusty conditions but still.

Blackbird
Regular
Regular

weight

Post by Blackbird » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:06 am

Yes, 190-195lbs, and not easy on equipment. I like to push things a bit... ;)
Seems I am finding out all the details. I sent Cabrinha an email: see below...

First, response, then original...

Aloha Eric

Thanks a lot for the feedback this is all issues we know about and have addressed.

Thanks again and best regards

Dano

Cabrinha Support

Kahului Maui

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 10 October 2005 13:24
To: 'Support'
Subject: Crossbow items, and Q-Power line

Support, (Dano?)

Wanted to let you know a couple items about your Crossbow. I've sent a couple emails to you in the past. I've been on my 12m Crossbow now pretty much straight for a couple months and have noticed a couple things:

1. The gray wrapping in the foam of the bar sucks. After about a month one side started tearing off. It creates sharp ends that pierced my skin a couple times before completely ripping it all off. Much better without it. Keep the foam simple!

2. Line tension: Seems to me the Crossbow has much greater line tension on the front lines than standard kites. This causes a couple problems: First, the front line attachment points to the kite, on the front lines, become worn fairly quick and abraid. I was finding this happening about every 12 sessions (about 40 hours). I would just tie another knot down to keep clean sleeves, but I ran out, and alas, a line broke. Second, this means Q-Power line cannot be used. I tried my 15m line set recently and ended up stranded with a wildly flapping crossbow because one of the front lines snapped.

3. Hmmm, because of #2, seems the safety system might be a little flawedÖ I had to totally detach from the kite at this point. I could not roll up the lines safely and reach the kite. Got the kite back, but it pointed out a big issue with this safety system. If a front line snaps, you're hosed. Sure, the kite hits the water, and you can detach, but getting to your kite in these conditions is next to impossible. Impossible when I triedÖ

Just some quality feedback on a fantastic kite. Your Crossbow kites rock. I've got a 9m on order through KiteWindSurf in Alameda, CA, USA. Now, if you were just able to make as many as demand requiredÖ

So, now I'm kiteless. Waiting for repairs on the 12m, waiting for the 9m to arrive, and going back to the things I did before kitingÖ wishing I could still be kiting.

Thanks for making a great product, hope the feedback helps!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:49 am

If your front line attachment points are getting a lot of wear, you may want to consider installing an additional pigtail (to prevent wear on your regular lines). That way you could just replace the pigtail after every 12 sessions, instead of your lines. You could make some from spectra (similar to what slingshot uses) (Svensons-alameda) by making a ~8" bite (sew 6" with 2" loop) on each end and sewing a zigzag to secure the bite. It would last a lot longer than most pigtails out there.
just a thought,
bric

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:19 am

Blackbird,
You've probably spent close to 3 grand on your "latest and greatest" 2 kite quiver and are presently kiteless. Have you considered picking up a couple 2003-2005 kites for $100-$300. Being that you are so rough on your kites, it sounds like it would be a cheap investment to have some backup kite(s) in your quiver. I'd rather have a day of riding on a 2001 kite, than a day at home wishing I was riding.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 am

I'm not too surprised that regular 500# lines would fail for the front of the xbow. Flysurfers had this same problem. Flysurfers used to use 200# in the back, and one 500# line in the front. They now use a 600# line in the front.
I would think having two 600# lines for the front lines on an xbow should be minimally sufficient. I wouldn't be against manufacturers making 700# lines for the heavier riders though...