kiting vacation this winter (where to go?)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
kiting vacation this winter (where to go?)

Post by clints » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:19 pm

Anyone interested in getting some Kiting R&R this winter either here in the US or outside like costa rica, brazil, la ventana and etc.

-clint

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:05 pm

Jeff at kitewindsurf was talking about maybe having a place to rent and do lessons in Costa Rica this winter.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:52 pm

There are many options and it depends on what you want from your kiting vacation. Costa Rica is fun, I was there last January and had a great time. I would recommend it for intermediate to advanced riders. The winds can be huge and very gusty as well. I flew anything from a 7m to a 13m. When not kiting, your other option is basically just to chill out as there's not much else going on locally and everything that might be of interest would probably require a car.

Maui is a crapshoot. I've been there several times in winter months and have kited every time, but some visits are better than others. During the winter, the trades are not in full effect or reliable, but good winds can still be had and can be epic. I would suggest bringing 3 kites to be able to take advantage of varying conditions at that time of year. If you by chance get skunked and don't experience much of any wind, the good news is, you're on Maui! Loads of awesome stuff to do including daytrips to Hana, driving around the island, snorkeling, chlling at Big Beach, hiking on Haleakala, on more. Costs are similiar to the SF Bay.

South Padre Island can be a good trip as well. I had fun there on a trip in September, although the winds weren't great, September is just not the greatest time to go due to tropical storm influences.

Hatteras might be good, can anyone comment on that?

Ollie

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:17 pm

What about Asia? Mui Ne Bay (Vietnam) and Boracay (Philippines) both have great wind in the winter time. They're a bit more expensive to fly to than Costa Rica, but once you're there, they are much cheaper (hotels, meals, etc).

Brazil doesn't have reliable winds from January-April.

La Ventana can be great but you can also get skunked. If you're going with a non-kiting SO, I'd go to Los Bariles instead as it's more of a real vacation destination. La Ventana is literally in the Sticks.

Anywhere in the Carribbean (Puerto Rico, DR, Margarita, etc) can also be hit or miss during that time as well.

If you want can't miss, 100% guarantee wind during those months, then go to Chile. In the north of Chile, there's a fresh water lagoon called Puclaro that gets wind everyday beginning in September and it goes thru May. December-March has the strongest wind, where you'll only be riding 10's and smaller. It's a bit of trek to get there, but it's worth it.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:43 pm

Hatteras is not that good in the winter because the gulf stream moves way out which cause the good wind. I learned this when stupidly bringing my kites out there on a business trip one year. I could be wring though!

This year I am all about snow kiting. Kind of tough to get a good session I heard but this year I will be up in Tahoe a lot.

We have some good days here in the BAy Area and ocean beach. They are unfortunatly few and far between.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:30 am

How is La Ventana? I talked to someone that highly recommended it. He said that you get very good wind at least 50% of the days you are there, usually more.

E

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:52 am

Clint,

Since you are going to Phillipines, you should try Boracay. Not sure how far away from where you'll be though. I am interested in going to South Padre but whatever you find out, I maybe in. There is also a KiteChicks event in Cabarete in November. Is Cabarete any good in November?

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:54 am

Not sure about November but last mid december-mid january wasn't so great, patchy wind, rain and sun all within an hour every hour.

mike_s
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mike_s » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:14 am

I was in Cabarete two novembers ago (beginning of the month) and got 2 1/2 weeks of solid 9-12m weather every afternoon from about 2pm until the sun went down....

I travelled in the phillipines about 10 years ago and spent a week windsurfing in Boracay.....another awesome spot, flat water on the inside out to a reef where the waves break...... although imagine its become a bit more developed since then.....if I remember right that was in the november time as well and winds were good.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:07 pm

I went to La Ventana last year and had solid wind for 6 days. The day I left, though, there was no wind and I guess for the next four days after that.

So 50% of the time might not be so great if the week you are there it is off but the week before and week after it was on. It's true there's not much to do there other than kite. The two restuarants are always jammed and the service is glacially slow. I here there's a new pizza place opening up this winter, though.

I'm going to try Thailand next year. We're going to visit my wife's family, and they have a place right on the beach at Hua Hin, which is supposed to be the best spot for kiting there. The season there is end of November through March. If anyone is thinking that far ahead, we may be getting together a group to rent the whole house for a week or two. January 2007. I'll mention it again next year.