kiting vacation this winter (where to go?)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:33 pm

I was in boracay last Jan and it was actually great there. PPL flying 12ms with side-on shore wind. Great spot but it was a little crowded and the beach is not as big. Overall, Beautiful island, great nightlife and worth visiting again :).

But I'm also interested to see if there are other kiters interested in going to other places like south padre, florida or overseas.

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:14 am

I wouldn't mind scoping out SPI again this winter.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:16 pm

Let us not forget: Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:01 pm

jstjohn3 wrote:I wouldn't mind scoping out SPI again this winter.
John,

You were there at that time of year before, what was your experience?

Even though I didn't get too much wind on my visit, I enjoyed it. Super relaxed place with endless beach. The people were friendly and the Mexican food great.

Does it stay reasonably warm?

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:45 am

Well, the town itself is pretty strange...a spring break ghost town with big box tourist stores all along the main drag. But the wind rips and it blows all winter long. When it's not blowing on the island, you can cross the bridge and grab some at Holly Beach. You'll often have a choice of ocean wave kiting or flat as a pancake bay sailing. The water is waist deep-even two miles out...that makes for super smooth water even when it's blowing in the 30's. The wind range is great with super high winds from storms and clearing winds and a thermal setup for moderate winds when it's not storming. It was super hot for the first couple months I was there(September and October) I mean the temps were 98degrees and the water temps were 90degrees. The only way your skin could tell you hit the water was the moisture. I had the air-conditioning in the MOHO going 24-7. These very hot months didn't produce much wind. After October, the wind was super consistent, but the temps were all over the map for the winter. If it was a cold night, the water would be freezing, but once the sun had hit if for awhile it would warm right up.(shallow) One of the most memorable experiences I had was poleboarding next to the causeway and having dolphins swimming and jumping along next to me. I later found out the reason I was the only one who sailed there was because it's a bull shark breeding ground. The bull shark is known to have the highest testosterone levels :| . all in all, SPI is a wonderful place to kiteboard and the people are great.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:11 am

Yep, interesting town indeed. I didn't understand how there could be four or five big stores on the main drag all selling boogie boards, t-shirts and towels and all stay in business. I was there in September also and it was hot! Nice to know that after October the winds are much more consistant. What messes up the winds so much in Sept and Oct is all the tropical storm influence. The water even on the ocean side was so warm, probably the warmest water I had ever been in, let alone kited in. Also, you can drive on the beach for miles and pick your spot. I would go back for sure. Fun spot.

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 pm

I want to go to SPI this winter, for a month or maybe more. I am thinking right after Christmas.

Ollie, on those beaches that you can drive for miles and pick your spot ... can you camp there for free as well?

Does anyone know of any other cheap lodging opportunities like Hostels, supercheap motels, locals renting rooms, etc. ?

Thanks for any input !

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:53 pm

and SPI stands for what?

david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:25 pm

South Padre Island

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:35 pm

How's florida in the winter? It seems like it's cheaper to fly to florida than SPI. plus there are other things to do too.