bodydrag at 3rd

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Mickey
bodydrag at 3rd

Post by Mickey » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:48 am

Hi all,
I took the lessons at KiteWindSurf and now ready to go out. I have a 12M boxer. Tried to fly it a few times at Alameda but not enough wind. I want to know what's the etiquette is for practicing (bodydrag) at 3rd ave? I'll probably practice body drag a few times before trying to get on the board. From what I understand, riding there is not recommended unless I can consistent go upwind. Thanks.

Mickey

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:52 am

You do not have to be able to go up wind to ride at 3rd. You start at the upper beach and come in at the lower beach. I will be more than happy to give you some pointers, I'm usually there everyday.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:59 am

Mickey,
I would recommend that you maybe hone your skills a bit more at Alameda. If there is enough wind for someone to get up on board in alameda, there is enough wind to bodydrag on a 12M kite. I would recommend that you practice and become proficient in; body dragging upwind, self landing (kite in hand when you hit the sand, self rescue (using the kite as a sail to get back to land), land launches, and water relaunching, All of this can be done in the light winds of alameda. Once you are proficient in these skills, you, IMO, are ready for third ave. Alameda is good spot to practice this because the winds are generally onshore, the beach is long, fairly shallow, and hazard free.
Once heading to third, spend some time (a day, etc) just watching the scene. Don't be afraid to talk to people, the people there are nice. There is an upper and lower beach launch. The upper launch can be sketchy due to the slippery mud. I prefer the upper launch. From there, if you can't stay upwind, you can land at the lower beach. If you miss the lower beach, you'll have to land at a sharp rocky wall, which should be avoided.
I would recommend not riding near shore, but don't venture off farther than you are comfortable swimming back to shore. Most accidents there happen during launches, so it would be good if you are proficient in your launches when you start going to third.
As far as etiquette, don't hurt yourself or others... and stay out of the windsurfers way. I think it is a great idea to spend some time in the water without the board.
-bric

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 am

I agree on Alameda being a much safer option, but realistically there is little wind there, so building your skills can take a long time.