4 Line Power Kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
RussellP
Joey
Joey
4 Line Power Kite

Post by RussellP » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:09 pm

Hello,

I am fairly new to 4 line power kites, and having recently purchased one that came with no instruction (genius I know) is there anyone who could answer me a basic question about the 4 line system. Do the lines have to be the same length, or are the lines to the rear longer than the front, if so roughly how much longer do they have to be.

Many thanks in anticipation

Russell

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:13 pm

Can you tell us more, like what brand and model, what type (foil or LEI), which model year? They are all a bit different....once we know there will be someone here with advice...(if your kite is not too exotic)....

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:49 pm

The majority of kites, basically most inflatables, are designed to fly on equal length lines. If you tie all the lines to one point and walk the bar back till it's tight, the lines should all be taught when everything is powered up. So when you adjust it the depower strap should be powered up and the chicken loop should be pulling against the bar as if you were flying unhooked.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:14 pm

I thought those '06 North kites came with all four lines a different length. Anyway, I thought that might be why everyone riding them last weekend seemed to be doing nonstop kiteloops.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:34 pm

sigh sigh pablito.

RussellP
Joey
Joey

Post by RussellP » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:39 pm

I'm not too sure what year the kite is, but it's a land based power kite, with two handles which each have two lines connected. I'm trying to get hold of a bar system, as I have a bar with my little kite (2 lines) and find it a lot easier to control that way. I'm learing with the 4 line system, and so any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. i've had a quick flight, and so far it doesn't seem to become airborne as quick as my smaller kite, and was wondering if this had something to do with the brake lines being too short? It also takes a lot more effort to keep it airborne.
Thanks for the previous advice, it all comes in useful to me.

Russell

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:48 pm

You might have more luck with responses checking one of the power kite forums. I think there are several. All you need to say here is "my kite has handles" and people's eyes glaze over.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:55 pm

Generally speaking, lines are the same length on most power kites. The handles sometimes have a few knots to make lines longer or shorter.

If the kite has no forward speed, and generally flies like the brakes are pulled (the back lines) then create a difference in the lines by putting a knot on the line leaders connected to the handles. To make the back lines slack, put knots on the top leaders (the power lines, normally the thicker lines).

A good indication that the kite has too much brake line tension is that when you fly it straight up it does not go all the way up to the top of the window, it hangs somewhere in the top half of the window.

Also notice that when flying on handles the bottom of the handles is very mush towards the kite. You don't hold the handles vertical. In flight you should see the back lines slacking with an arc.

Just in case, make sure that the lines connected to the top of the handles are the thicker lines, and that they connect to the tow points of the main bridle which are in the front of the kite. The brake lines (bottom of the handles, thinner) connect to the brake bridle, which normally connects only to the trailing edge (the back) of the kite.

Learn to fly with handles, after that you will have great kite control and bar will be as easy as 123. You can also fly the kite in much lower wind and generate power because you have better control on the kite with handles. Actually when you switch to a bar you will notice how much kite control is lost with a bar.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:58 pm

Something important, never put knots in the fly lines, just on the thick leaders connected to the handles.
Last edited by elli on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussellP
Joey
Joey

Post by RussellP » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:10 am

Thanks elli, I'll give it a go and see what happens, it sounds like you have hit the nail on the head tho.
Many thanks once again everyone.