Poll: Should all users be registered?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Poll: Should all users be registered?

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:29 am

What do you think?

Should all user be required to be registered to post?

Thus far, it seems much of the negativity and flaming is almost exclusively from those posting as "Guests", who wish to remain anonymous.

To keep this site friendly, helpful and informative do you think it's in the best interest to disable "Guest" posting?

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:02 am

Yea, keep the trolls away. Although if someone really wants to flame, they will just register under a new user name. This just makes it more inconvenient for people to flame.

I think it will only hurt the occasionally visitor that wants to add their thoughts to a discussion, but doesn't want to be bothered with registering.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:06 am

"Negativity" is just part of the reality. Sparking discussions, thoughts, in return provoking "positivity" and so on. As long as it does not get totally out of hand - why not having some spice in the soup.

I personally appreciate to get this way a look inside people's minds. Read what some are truly thinking. We would not hear it otherwise.

But...I am just saying that because the vast majority of the posts - even with the guest label only - still seem ok, the real hate-posts are the exception. So most discussions stay meaningful. If that gets out of control then yeah....registration is one way but might not help. People can fake-register if they really want to bash. That's the point when you need a moderator.

Cheers! - Sylvia

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:11 am

I'm in favor of having registered posters. It's not a cure-all, obviously, since people with resources and too much time can keep registering under different pseudonyms if they have a hidden, self-serving agenda, but it's a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Wildting
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wildting » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:20 am

Depends what you want, Ollie.

You want to grow your forum fast, then you should allow as many posts as possible, moderate it lightly, and wear a flame-proof boardshorts.

Then as your membership grows, you might have to do like Toby and limit the guest replies as to not fan flaming threads.

Personally, I like this forum for it's local info. That's why it's called BAK. Did you intend it as an international forum? Or even a national or statewide forum? I personally don't think so.

So, at the expense of having a huge forum, you have one that's more focused. If you're going to focus it locally, let's get all the identities out in the open. Accountability, baby. Don't say here anything you wouldn't say on the beach to anyone face. That's what registered posters will give you. That's what will define and differentiate your forum from others.

e.g. If I register and then post, I sure as hell ain't gonna antagaonize Big wave Dave and tell him to grow some arms cuz he can't stand the crossbow's bar pressure. Cuz I might see him over the weekend and he'll hog the tules. JK big one.

If you make everyone register to post or reply, it would be like hanging on the beach with your homies. Something I don't get to do much anymore since I got kids. I think that's what you wanted out of your forum. Thanks for setting it up. Maybe we'll meet one day at Sherman!

Eric

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:57 am

I completely agree with Sylvia's pov. Its not like this is a place we come to read sunshine and destress from the day's hardships. It seems to be a way to resolve issues, get questions answered and share info. As she said, without the negative responders, we would not know everyone's opinion. And although we dont know who they are, we are still getting an honest un biased biew on the subject at hand. It would be like asking for a biased jury.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 am

Olli,

I think everyone knows that the guest poster are not complete annonymous to you as you have the IP log. If someone obviousely abuses the guest login you can still follow up who it actually was.

My vote goes to keep it open. Its not to bad with the guest postings over here...

Cu, K

David (guest)

Post by David (guest) » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:23 am

Let me weigh in here. I've posted a bunch on this forum, beginning this past spring when I started with my first lesson. I haven't registered yet, and I have something of a reason. Basically, I need another lesson to get some planing time once out of the water. Once I do that, I'll consider myself an actual kiteboarder, instead of a kiteboarding wannabe. Or better, "probablybe". :) I've done the water starts, and I can body drag upwind like crazy. But until I have that exhilarating planing session, I'm going to continue to be "David (guest)". I'd been planning to head out onto the Bay tomorrow, but work and a sick family has completely wiped me out. I hope this doesn't drag out to next season. In the meantime, I'm reading up, watching the DVDs, and becoming an "armchair expert." :roll: I can at least fly my traction kites at lunch now and then, but I really want to be on the water.

So all this is just a way to represent a guy who posts (semi)anonymously for his own reasons, but still enjoys and appreciates the priviledge of posting. I'm way deep in kite experience, and probably have something to contribute. Soon enough I'll be helping some of us launch, and hitting the Bay myself.

Uh, "keep anonymous posting alive"!

cheers,

David :?

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:47 am

i like it open, its fun to guess who the guest are?
and ya, like kitechick said, better to hear the point of view.
Last edited by charlie on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlie

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 pm

I'm working on my pull-ups now. I will be hogging the tules. I will continue to post my candid opinions for all to see. I love the open forum and don't think the flaming is out of hand. Then again, I'm no stranger to controversy.

I am basically a peace-sign-throwin', flower-child-huggin', Aloha-love-fest kinda' guy who prefers Sylvia's spicy soup. Debate is healthy and illuminating. I admit I am prone to throw out the occassional bait. Others do too (I think.) It's kinda' like trout fishing-- let's see who rises to the hand-tied fly.

I sometimes post at work (an "anti-cookie" zone) and then people see the "guest" label. I guess it's good to not have to log in for some of us, although I doubt people are really hiding. (Or are they?)

Who am I? Just another anonymous Guest!

(See you at the river for the massive Party on Saturday!)