Board building tips

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windhorny
Old School
Old School
Board building tips

Post by windhorny » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:19 am

I am finally ready to make my first board. I have been tapping the board gods minds, thanks LMG. But I am thinking right after I build this 120 I am in the proccess of starting today, I want to make a light wind board.

The question is basically, does anyone know what kind of composition the core of the newer boards like the glide, naish thorn, north defender are? I know that a lot of pressure is involved with their process but I also think that whatever they are using is not the same technique as the typical divinycell core with layed up glass. Greg, if you read this, I was thinking about making a layup with 1/4" divinycell and laying the rest up in carbon since it is a light wind board and wont take much abuse. Would that still be too fragile? What if you just layed up 10-15 laters of glass/carbon with no core? THanks

Yuri

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:48 pm

Take a board through airport security and they'll scan it for you.

Or if you have insurance try a CT scan at a hospital.

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Alameda kiting...

Post by lmontejo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:53 pm

Yuri has discovered what I suspected all along... Kiting in Alameda has nothing to do with your kite's size or whether you have a new Crossbow, Hellfish, or a 2008 model.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BOARD!

For those interested, while the ikitesurf windmeter was showing 8 mph a few days ago, I was staying upwind with my Rhino 14 and the Glide. To be fair, I suspect the wind was 8-10 gusting to 12.

And because I lent Yuri my Glide, I now get to try his Crossbow... Now that will be a killer combination!

Leo

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:17 pm

And in the Glide's defense I really dont think it was much over 8 that day. Perhaps an occasional 10. No white caps unless you hunted them down with some binoculars. ANd yes Leo you can try the xbow still. I started making my light wind board to similar specs to a glide. I am not sure if I should put rocker in it at all or maybe a little bit. SHould be interesting to see how it turns out.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Check out the Door and Flydoor before you decide on a shape. They are more radical, so you can expect better light wind performance and less high wind performance and chop than the Glide. From what I read just cutting a piece of plywood will work fine, but its going to be a heavy board.