2006 Windwing Rapture Revisited

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
2006 Windwing Rapture Revisited

Post by OliverG » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:32 pm

Hopefully we'll get one of these down here soon for evaluation. Will post more details soon.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 am

From the WW forum, here's some specific info about the kites:

Members and Guests:
I've started a new thread to answer questions about the new '06 Rapture. Please view the pics on the prior topic to familiarize yourself with the kites. Additional pics and infos will be added to the is forum in the next few days. Feel free to ask here.
Intro:

The '06 Rapture is the contemporary culmination of many year of ongoing work on Hi-Pro (high projected area) kites. I call it a '3rd generation' Hi-Pro being a step beyond the Rapture which was a step beyond the Outrage and Rage II which are a step beyond a traditional IU (inverted U-shaped) kite. If you viewed the earlier thread on Hi-Pro kites on this forum, you will have seen the predecessors to this design and many of the features in various gestational stages. The primary design goal is high projected area meaning maximal use of the area for lift rather than form stability or user tractability. Secondary goals are simplicity, safety, range and user-friendliness.
Questions from the Forum in no particular order:
1) Bridles? Yes. A simple 4 point fixed 'bridge' bridle as used on 2-line foil kites for many years. The 'bridge' term comes from suspension bridge technology of supporting a span with a catenary cable and verticle load-bearing strands. No pulleys or moving parts. Tangle free and dimensioned to avoid 'tip thru' excursions or other compromising situations. The bridle is transparent to normal or even extreme kiting use. It's purpose is to support the Hi-Pro planform and allow a smaller T1 tube and struts for lighter weight and improved performance.
2) Bar systems? Same as Rage II, Outrage and Rapture. An extended-range CC or B-Safe bar is recommended to insure full de-power and SAFE operation. The '06 Rapture depends on variable AOA adjustment to control the power, i.e. 'tipping the kite' or 'sheeting out' in sailing terms. No complicated pulley bars or stopper balls are required but extended range is a safety and performance advantage.
3) Bar pressure? Light and friendly but with sufficient feedback to 'feel' the kite's presence. Bar pressure is much lighter than the '05 Rapture and very well balanced.
4) Traditional Re-Launch? Much better than '05 Rapture due to the curved wingtips and smaller T1 tube.
5) Reverse Re-Launch? Also much better due to the straight trailing edge and swept wingtips.
6) Ground Handling and Self Launch. Better than the '05 Rapture. The bridle provides form stability so the struts are smaller and more easily flexed allowing normal 'sanding' and handling.
7) One Pump? Extra stopper-ball valves are supplied at the T3 and T4 struts allowing the user to implement a 'two-pump' system where the main tube and outer struts are pumped as one. The central strut (T2) is left separate for safety as it is integral to supporting the foil profile and for flotation in the case of accidental deflation. On testing, the 9sq-m kite requires 47 pumps in the 'two pump' configuration to attain the suggested pressure of 6 psi for the main tube. Performance kiters may wish to pump the struts individually to a recommended 8psi for additional stability.
8) Leading Edge Battens? Yes. Along with multiple trailing edge battens, the LE battens preserve the foil profile in low AOA flying (upwind and light air.)
9) Jumping and Low-Wind Power. Much improved over the '05 Rapture. The '06 version is truly the highest % projected area kite available and makes good use of this fact in light wind and jumping. The span is stabilized by the bridle and presents an aggressive foil profile to the wind meaning lofty jumps with long gliding descents.
10) '05 Rapture discontinued? We think the '05 version was an excellent kite and VERY user friendly. If enough people demand them we will no doubt make them in limited quantities until the demand is gone but in all honesty, we think the new version is a good advancement and worth the wait.

I hope these infos helps answer the many supportive inquiries received so far on these new and interesting kites.
Best regards,
Bill Hansen
Windwing R+D

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:07 pm

From the WW forum:
We will have our first production kites for sizes 9 and 12 in three weeks. There will be a number of beach reps and consumer with these kites. Those wanting to be on the list for this first round of kites please stay in touch. As soon as we post the pricing we will take orders for this first round.
Hopefully you'll get some of these to demo, Ollie... I'd love to try the 12 out and maybe make a purchase early next season. (I like my Rage II 12 but for the fact that it exhibits heavy bar pressure; supposedly the '06 Rap is much lighter on the back lines.)

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:55 pm

Hopefully there will still be some wind left to try them with.

My Rage II 14 also has pretty stiff back line pressure, as does the '04 OR 17 that I just flew for the first time this weekend.

Did you say in another post that you were able to reduce this by flying the kite in fixed line mode instead of SAFE?

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Wasn't me, I've only ever flown the Rage II 12 (and my friend's 10 and 14) in SAFE mode. My Rapture has a lot less bar pressure though, and I really like that. Just wish I had more chances to fly that puppy.

exsailor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by exsailor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:46 pm

The Rap 12 has plenty of back line pressure too unfortunately (I still love the kite though). Can't wait to try the '06 version...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:21 pm

Word is about 3 weeks to have one in hand locally.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:49 pm

3 weeks!!!!! NOOoooooooo Ollie the season is fast winding down, that and I haven't seen you at SI much lately. I need to find out how that thing flys before the season is gone!!!
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:59 pm

Sorry Dewey! You can always fly up to Hood River....
The season is not gone yet, at least not in the bay. Should be able to kite with some regularity through the end of October. You'll just have to come down on a good day.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:17 pm

Dewey,
Don't forget your drysuit, uh, wetsuit. :wink: