2006 Windwing Rapture

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:33 pm

As far as rights go, Flexifoil had something similar years ago (not sure how many) as well as seasmik or whatever the name is. As far as prior art, I am not so sure what is patentable here except for the pulley system in the ting tip which the rapture is not using in those pictures. Speaking of, many kites use pulleys in various combinations, like Ozone, Flysurfer, GK. I wonder what the real patent on the bow kites is. An inflateable kite with a bridle does not sound too patentable to me. But then again, I am not a lawyer.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:33 pm

In my limited product manufacturing experience there is not alot one can do to protect themselves from design theft. As you mention, one can always just change a few things here and there and call it "theirs." But on the other hand this is how things evolve. It is no new issue. If Takoon was the first to manufacture a prototype of this wing yet Cabrinha makes the first "purchaseable" one on the market, they are doing nothing more than opening the world of flat wings to every other manufacturer out there. Business' compete, it's all a money game. I had to see a patent attorney once for a product I had and he was telling me it wasnt worth patenting because it was a combination of so many other patents. It would be like Honda saying noone else could use a transverse engine or Dodge suing because they had the first sliding van door. In my experience the only things that are truly protected by patents are either mechanical mechanisms or chemical formulas.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Anonymous wrote: As far as prior art, I am not so sure what is patentable here except for the pulley system in the ting tip which the rapture is not using in those pictures. Speaking of, many kites use pulleys in various combinations, like Ozone, Flysurfer, GK.
I was looking at the pulley system yesterday. I would think that a ring like I've seen on the GlobeRider kpo or whatever system would work just as well, and be less prone to malfunction? Is there too much friction, or would the lines rubbing on the ring cause wear?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:11 pm

windhorny wrote:It's interesting how this design is taking shape through every manufacturer in some form or another yet the guy who designed it for Takoon has not released theirs at all. I forget his name but from what I heard/read Cabrinha liscensed the design and made an agreement to be the first ones out with the design and Takoon was supposed to be able to release their Nova a month later. ???
To be clear Bruno is an independent designer who sold this design to more than one mfg. Cabrinha just saw the light before others and they did obtain a license from Bruno.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:13 pm

KillaHz wrote:
windhorny wrote:It's interesting how this design is taking shape through every manufacturer in some form or another yet the guy who designed it for Takoon has not released theirs at all. I forget his name but from what I heard/read Cabrinha liscensed the design and made an agreement to be the first ones out with the design and Takoon was supposed to be able to release their Nova a month later. ???
To be clear Bruno is an independent designer who sold this design to more than one mfg. Cabrinha just saw the light before others and they did obtain a license from Bruno.
I don't know, when the Rapture first came out earlier this year, Cabrinha's line was all traditional kites. It's not like the Xbow is so groundbreaking. WW's been working on non-traditional designs for years now.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:23 pm

Does WW manufacture those batwings that you use for skating, rollerblading?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:02 pm

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:27 pm

I don't think he's talking about the sky foils. I think it's a sail like wing that you hold in your hands.

The skyfoils rock though. I let little Brian use my 2m and he was boosting with it.
Dewey

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hope WW paid for the license as other manufacturers have..
Guest:
License for what? Since your anonymous 'hope' is that WW should be licensed, please inform the forum what part of the '06 Rapture shown in the pictures you hope should be licensed and why. As a longtime patent holder with several applications in process, I understand and respect the principles of independent development and prior art. FYI: The '06 Rapture is a high aspect, high projected area wing with a truncated tip elliptical planform and a fixed bridle. Any license-able features to this design (if there are any) are strictly WW's and have no specific relation to 'bow' kites.
Best regards,
Bill Hansen
Windwing R+D

d-train

Post by d-train » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:01 pm

It's my understanding that WW has been working on this kite for 11 years now. They were not planning to market or sell it until all of the kinks were worked out. I think Willzone had the plans drawn up on a napkin at the Bluebird in Leland. 3 beers and a muskie later the Rapture was hatched.

Just what I heard?