2006 Windwing Rapture

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 pm

So Windwings don't have the license that some of the companies have paid for????

The verdict would then be gulity as charged for piracy of kite design.

To the consumer or kiteboarder that wishes to support unethical companies there goes our sport and my passion.

If it wasn't for Bruno and his brother my life would be extremely boring how about yours?

Do what is right and support companies that are ethical and make the right decisions.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Have to admit that it seems just a little wierd that they released the '05 Rapture so late, then all of sudden when the 'bows come out, they announce a newer version of the Rapture.

I mean, think about how different the two Raptures are. If they had been working on this for so long, why would they call it a Rapture. It doesn't use the SAFE system, which was new for '05. If they had had it in the pipeline for so long, it would have had another name.

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that they worked out all the bugs in this "new" design between March and August.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:44 pm

Pablito wrote:Have to admit that it seems just a little weird that they released the '05 Rapture so late, then all of sudden when the 'bows come out, they announce a newer version of the Rapture.

I mean, think about how different the two Raptures are. If they had been working on this for so long, why would they call it a Rapture. It doesn't use the SAFE system, which was new for '05. If they had had it in the pipeline for so long, it would have had another name.

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that they worked out all the bugs in this "new" design between March and August.
If you looked on the website earlier this year you would have seen pictures of this kite from 2001. That's why they didn't pay to release it. This is a old design. The reason they came out with the 05 rapture is because they didn't think that the leading edge bridle would be accepted. Do you think WW didn't do the R&D for this kite? If you don't then where did you get your info. Let me guess...you just thought it up for yourself!! I've talked to Bill H., and let me tell you he doesn't have to steal designs. The man is wicked smart. He was a professor at Berkeley before he got hooked on water sports. It's funny how fast we are to rush to judgment. If you look at kites from 2000 you'll see very similar kites. How many of them bought rights to make the kite? Well it's none, because nobody owned the design. If you've been working on something for years, then someone acts like it's their new invention, would you pay them?
Dewey

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Are the WW kites inflatable kites or not ?

If there are, then the concept is protected by the US patent US 4-708-078, filled in 1985, and this patent is going to expire on 7th November 2005 and not before.

And that is the reason why Airush, Cabrinha, North, Naish, Takoon, F-One, Slingshot, logically, bought the licenced and this is why you see the Legaignoux certificat of Authenticity on their kites.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:25 am

Anonymous wrote:Are the WW kites inflatable kites or not ?

If there are, then the concept is protected by the US patent US 4-708-078, filled in 1985, and this patent is going to expire on 7th November 2005 and not before.

And that is the reason why Airush, Cabrinha, North, Naish, Takoon, F-One, Slingshot, logically, bought the licenced and this is why you see the Legaignoux certificat of Authenticity on their kites.
Is that what I was talking about? I was talking about the new generation of kites. How many MP3's do you have on your PC? If what they are doing is illegal the let the courts do something about it. How many other brans are missing from that list? Are you a retailer that is trying to discourage other from buying direct? I don't know if I'm even going to buy the 06 rapture, but this thread was hijacked by "guest", and it pisses me off. I may buy the cartel approved Xbow, or the unapproved GK Sonic. I'm just trying to get info so I could make my decision. I want to know how it flys, not your political BS.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:05 am

Anonymous wrote:Are the WW kites inflatable kites or not ?

I'm still telling you I've only seen maybe one of those things on a kite, and I've owned and seen alot of kites of many different brands. People were trying to bash Best on kiteforum over the same thing. If you don't like a kite brand fair enough, but there's no need to nitpick. I'm sure that they are on the up and up, they would have too much to lose if they weren't.

Also, in response to someone else's post, there was work and progress and announcements and photos of the new Rapture before the Crossbow was announced in any way.

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:12 am

Is that what I was talking about? I was talking about the new generation of kites. How many MP3's do you have on your PC? If what they are doing is illegal the let the courts do something about it. How many other brans are missing from that list? Are you a retailer that is trying to discourage other from buying direct? I don't know if I'm even going to buy the 06 rapture, but this thread was hijacked by "guest", and it pisses me off. I may buy the cartel approved Xbow, or the unapproved GK Sonic. I'm just trying to get info so I could make my decision. I want to know how it flys, not your political BS.
Dewey, my thoughts exactly... I'm sure Guest over here has never downloaded mp3s or used bittorrent, never used iTunes, and never purchased anything from Amazon.com because, gee, that means you're not supporting your local book/music store. And Guest has bought retail copies of Windows for every computer he/she owns, avoids Linux because Darl McBride and his lawyer lackeys claim it infringes on SCO code (haha), and doesn't use SDRAM memory on his/her PC either because Rambus thinks every other memory manufacturer is infringing on its patent.

I happen to like reading the BAK forums because you generally get much more informative, unbiased reviews of kite gear than *cough* KiteForum *cough* with all its attendant shills and bashers (who usually have hidden agendas anyway, so their comments are worthless).

To "Guest": people... glass houses... stones. And at least grow some cajones to stay logged in (or register on the BAK forums) if you want to raise your concerns (as self-serving as they may or may not be) about another manufacturer's kite or distribution strategy.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:29 am

If you have your own self interest to protect then bash away, but let us know who you are. I'm all for self preservation. When I owned a coffee shop I bashed Starbucks everyday. If you have no commercial interest in kites then get a life. There are more important thing to think about. Like what new kites are comming out and how they fly. ( I know I need a life). We are not lawers or judges. Let them work out the legal stuff.
Dewey

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification Dewey & Ollie.

So WW didn't release this kite because they thought the bridles wouldn't fly with LEI kiters. Well, good guess! Wasn't that the first thing Charlie said about this kite, was "please, no bridles."

Somebody at Cabrinha decided that there were enough people out there who would be more attracted to a really safe kite than they would be distracted by the bridles, and I guess they won big on that bet. Plus, they opened the gates for the people at the other kite companies who had "wacky" ideas that the marketing guys said wouldn't sell.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:14 am

last year cabrinha introduced pro span (wider span kite) with a cross bridle on a relauchable (even reverse relaunch) kite when they released the Contra.... hmmmm.....