2006 Windwing Rapture

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:43 am

I have to agree with Bob. I canít see what exactly is patentable here. Not every idea is patentable, especially if there is a lot of prior art. Kites with bridles have been around, inflateable kites have been around, kites with pulleys have been around, and also combinations of all of the above. Cabrinha's achievement (as well as Takoon's) is that they refined the design to a level that it is usable, but that does not mean there is a patent here. Changing a few dimensions here and there and tweaking the design to get different behavior is not patentable if itís the same design.

Thatís what I am wondering here, what is Bruno's patent. Is it the old inflateable kite patents, or is there something new that is specific to the bow kite (which I personally cannot find).

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:00 am

I would hope Windwings have one of these on every kite they have produced. I know Airush, Cabrinha, North, Naish, Takoon, F-One and Slingshot have the tag you see below. If Windwings don't then Mr hansen has some explaining to do.

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:44 am

I'm pretty sure the original patent on inflatable kites has expired already, btw.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:30 am

Anonymous wrote:I would hope Windwings have one of these on every kite they have produced. I know Airush, Cabrinha, North, Naish, Takoon, F-One and Slingshot have the tag you see below. If Windwings don't then Mr hansen has some explaining to do.

I haven't seen these on any kites in a few years. I do recall seeing one on a 2003 Cabrinha, but never on any of the Slingshots or a Naish kite I owned.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:10 am

As far as I know the original "tube" patent run out of protection. But I havnt really followed that up in detail. I thought that they hold another "Bow" patent. I was surprised to hear that as this design principle is very close to the old old C-quad design which is 15 years old or may be even older. One needs to look to the specivic claims. No way around. But for this businesswise important but in general very boring stuff you need a good patent laywer who figures out the details for you. I think its clear that Cabrinha and Takoon pay for the second patent. But that the business homework for WW internally.

Everyone who is interested and want to spen his time can follow things up under:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... D2=&d=PG01

I really looking forward to check your kite. K

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I would hope Windwings have one of these on every kite they have produced. I know Airush, Cabrinha, North, Naish, Takoon, F-One and Slingshot have the tag you see below. If Windwings don't then Mr hansen has some explaining to do.

I haven't seen these on any kites in a few years. I do recall seeing one on a 2003 Cabrinha, but never on any of the Slingshots or a Naish kite I owned.
My bow has one.

Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Hmmm... my 05 Rhino 10m has one, but my Rhino 05 12 and 16 have a s/n imprinted on the LE. I believe the 10m was was made in Q205 whereas the other two were made earlier.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:08 pm

New thread on WindWing forum:

'06 Rapture Q&A
http://www.windwing.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=507&PN=1

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:37 pm

For those too lazy to check the link:

From Bill Hansen at WW:

"Members and Guests:
I've started a new thread to answer questions about the new '06 Rapture. Please view the pics on the prior topic to familiarize yourself with the kites. Additional pics and infos will be added to the is forum in the next few days. Feel free to ask here.
Intro:

The '06 Rapture is the contemporary culmination of many year of ongoing work on Hi-Pro (high projected area) kites. I call it a '3rd generation' Hi-Pro being a step beyond the Rapture which was a step beyond the Outrage and Rage II which are a step beyond a traditional IU (inverted U-shaped) kite. If you viewed the earlier thread on Hi-Pro kites on this forum, you will have seen the predecessors to this design and many of the features in various gestational stages. The primary design goal is high projected area meaning maximal use of the area for lift rather than form stability or user tractability. Secondary goals are simplicity, safety, range and user-friendliness.
Questions from the Forum in no particular order:
1) Bridles? Yes. A simple 4 point fixed 'bridge' bridle as used on 2-line foil kites for many years. The 'bridge' term comes from suspension bridge technology of supporting a span with a catenary cable and verticle load-bearing strands. No pulleys or moving parts. Tangle free and dimensioned to avoid 'tip thru' excursions or other compromising situations. The bridle is transparent to normal or even extreme kiting use. It's purpose is to support the Hi-Pro planform and allow a smaller T1 tube and struts for lighter weight and improved performance.
2) Bar systems? Same as Rage II, Outrage and Rapture. An extended-range CC or B-Safe bar is recommended to insure full de-power and SAFE operation. The '06 Rapture depends on variable AOA adjustment to control the power, i.e. 'tipping the kite' or 'sheeting out' in sailing terms. No complicated pulley bars or stopper balls are required but extended range is a safety and performance advantage.
3) Bar pressure? Light and friendly but with sufficient feedback to 'feel' the kite's presence. Bar pressure is much lighter than the '05 Rapture and very well balanced.
4) Traditional Re-Launch? Much better than '05 Rapture due to the curved wingtips and smaller T1 tube.
5) Reverse Re-Launch? Also much better due to the straight trailing edge and swept wingtips.
6) Ground Handling and Self Launch. Better than the '05 Rapture. The bridle provides form stability so the struts are smaller and more easily flexed allowing normal 'sanding' and handling.
7) One Pump? Extra stopper-ball valves are supplied at the T3 and T4 struts allowing the user to implement a 'two-pump' system where the main tube and outer struts are pumped as one. The central strut (T2) is left separate for safety as it is integral to supporting the foil profile and for flotation in the case of accidental deflation. On testing, the 9sq-m kite requires 47 pumps in the 'two pump' configuration to attain the suggested pressure of 6 psi for the main tube. Performance kiters may wish to pump the struts individually to a recommended 8psi for additional stability.
8) Leading Edge Battens? Yes. Along with multiple trailing edge battens, the LE battens preserve the foil profile in low AOA flying (upwind and light air.)
9) Jumping and Low-Wind Power. Much improved over the '05 Rapture. The '06 version is truly the highest % projected area kite available and makes good use of this fact in light wind and jumping. The span is stabilized by the bridle and presents an aggressive foil profile to the wind meaning lofty jumps with long gliding descents.
10) '05 Rapture discontinued? We think the '05 version was an excellent kite and VERY user friendly. If enough people demand them we will no doubt make them in limited quantities until the demand is gone but in all honesty, we think the new version is a good advancement and worth the wait.

I hope these infos helps answer the many supportive inquiries received so far on these new and interesting kites.
Best regards,
Bill Hansen
Windwing R+D"

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 pm

Leading AND trailing edge battens? Sounds like a stunt kite.

Does the 'Bow have these too?