RRD Type ZH Feedback Wanted

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tonyg
Joey
Joey
RRD Type ZH Feedback Wanted

Post by tonyg » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:29 pm

I'm looking at the 13m ZH and interested in more feedback.
Looking for a do-it-all kite that can fly 4 line (or 5-line).
How is the construction durability?
What about the zips? Are they a good idea providing added functionality or just another thing to service andpotentially break down the road?
Also considering the Flexi Strike2 13m.
Thanks
Tony

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:07 pm

Hello T,

ZH-13 is the shizzle, fo' rizzle. I have flown the Raven, Torch, Hellfish, Fuel, Machine, Bronco, Rhino and Vegas this summer, just to be sure I'm right. The ZH rules. Buy it and impress your friends with the loftiest hang-time you've ever imagined!

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:09 pm

Oh, and the zippers really do provide some tuning function-- zip it up for max power, unzip for some gust relief. SUPER range overall.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:45 pm

Tony,
Give us a ring / email if you want to try them out before you guy.
There are more than 20 Type ZH riders in the Bay Area, so next time you are on the beach talk to them and find out more.
One of the Crissy kiters has put more than 120 days on his RRD Type ZH 13m and still looks like the first day. He will be competing on the Freestyle and Kiter X on Saturday on an orange ZH 13m.

Come to the KOTB - there will be many RRD kites to check out.

Cheers to all,
Evan - Live2KITE
info@live2kite.com

tonyg
Joey
Joey

Post by tonyg » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got a few more responses over on Kiteforum : Kiteforum - Who is riding the RRD Type ZH?

Most of the response for the ZH is very positive. The one post below quesions the construction/build quality. Any thoughts on that post?

Unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I can demo (or see) these kites.
From Kiteforum wrote:Tony,
I got a 16 ZH to teach with about a month ago. The kite will fly and turn well. The 5th line setup is ok and works but you dont need it. It relaunches well without it. The zippers will seem to change the aspect ratio so the kite has a little bit better range and a bigger sweet spot. Unzippered the kite jumps better but that may be because I fly it in more wind unzippered. Zip it up and the kite will sit back in the wind window more and give better low wind performance. Altitude and hang time are good. Unfortunatly the kite is not as well made as my flexifoil Strike I had before. The seams hold up fine but everywhere there is an exposed dege of fabric it has begun to frey. It has been used hard and run through the sand and surf so I guess that may be expected but my Flexi never did that and I used it for training for about 7 or 8 months. The Flexi is a tough kite and the best built kite I have seen yet. It is also more stable so it is better for training. If you are hard on your kites get the Strike. If you are a more advanced flyer get the RRD.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:16 pm

Tony,
Here are my thoughts on the Type ZH.
The 5th line is active on the kite, and not used only for relaunching.
It enhances the shape of the kite, the speed as well as its behavior in the gusts. With the zippers on the kite is faster and snappier. It jumps higher and has better low end. With the outter zippers open the kite is a bit slower but still very stable, and the jumps are very floaty.
Regarding durability the kites are extremely strong. We are using in really tough conditions in the Bay, and they don't give up. In addition, there are things that you don't know/hear much about, but there are small details that are very innovative and people don't notice. (such as the adhessive lip on the bladders so they don't twist inside the struts and more).
I don't think the ZH was meant to be a school kite but we even had a few beginners who learned on the them and the process was totally smooth and comfortable.
Anyway, although we also carry Flexifoil kites we haven't used them for a long period of time so I can't comment on the durability. All I can say is that the RRD kites are the strongest kites (together with our Cautions) that we have ever used.
Let me know if I can offer any further details.
Evan - Live2KITE
(415) 722-7884