Best board for the bay

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
best
Best board for the bay

Post by best » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:16 am

This is my first season kiteboarding, and I ride an '04 SS SX 139. It's a nice board, but it's heavy, has too much rocker for light wind, and doesn't seem to turn so great (although I don't have much to compare against).

I'd like to hear what other folks are using, especially from those who have gone through a few boards before finding "the one".

What works best for you on the bay?

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:13 am

I am riding custom made LMG boards. The latest I got (a masterpiece) is superlight (3 or so pounds with straps; put lines on it and it will fly like a kite). It is a tray style.

It grips very well in high wind and overpowered conditions and gives me significant "pop" for jumps. Surprisingly it also works really well in low winds, floating conditions and has strong upwind capabilites. Probably due to the light materials (Carbon/Kevlar I think) which Greg used to build it.

Also since it is custom made it is just for my riding style, weight, size and preferences.
With nice flex to buffer landings for my bad knees.

An LMG board is a bit spendy compared with manufactured boards - but on the other hand....one LMG board is all you need for extended bliss.

Hoping for wind - Sylvia

Board lover

my stick

Post by Board lover » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:16 pm

I ride the greatest board in the world - a custom board made by John Amundson http://www.amundsoncustoms.com/MainFramset.html. I've tried and owned many other boards. One afternoon I tried a friends custom board and my mind was blown. It's a board that does EVERYTHING well - good in low wind, high wind, goes up wind well, surfs well, pops well for jumps, etc....it's light and is able to deal with my 225# of kitelooping and flat landing body - very bomber construction.

Jeff who owns kite wind and surf and rides many boards said after a short session on this board "this is the perfect board. Period"

John happens to be one of the coolest guys you will ever meet in this sport. it's great doing business with someone who shares a deep passion for our sport.

If you ever see me on the beach, check it out for yourself.

Good winds, Zeev.