Proper technique to inflate Boston Valve

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Proper technique to inflate Boston Valve

Post by sflinux » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:43 pm

I have a question about the black, screw type, sealed, boston valves, the type used in leading edge valves. I had one of these on my 2003 cabrinha access. My 2003 wipika has one, as well as, the regular pvc clear valve. On my wipika I use the regular pvc clear valve to inflate, and use the black boston valve for quick deflations.
I just picked up some more lei kites and they only have the single black boston valve on the leading edge.
I was always annoyed by my 2003 cabrinha access because the pump nozzle would never stay in the black boston valve when I tried to inflate the kite. I always had to manually hold the nozzle in the valve with one hand, and use my other hand to pump up the bladder. The new kites I picked up had different nozzles to choose from (for the pump) and I was excited that one of these would stay in the valve. But they didn't.
Am I missing something? Does somebody know the proper way to inflate the black bv valves?
thanks,
bric
p.s. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about. I'd upload a picture but I don't know how to. But you can see the link for a picture: http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/SEV/SEVBV.html

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:56 pm

I saw someone using something like this on a Cabrinha kite. Looked nice.

http://ocean2air.co.za/html/equipment/kites/cabrinha/airlock.htm

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:07 pm

Maybe you should try to screw the threaded female adaptor that should come with your pump
It actually inflates much faster than the clear valve

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:20 pm

your supposed to use the screw on valve, that's how they work.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:51 am

I only recall my pumps coming with three adapters:
a long narrow tipped one
a medium tipped one
and a short blunt tipped one.
I don't ever remember seeing an adapter that is threaded. I realize the kite valve itself is threaded in two pieces. The first part screws onto the valve, then I typically stick the medium tipped valve into this and pump. Then when filled, I screw on the valve cover. Is their a threaded adapter, for the pump, that is supposed to screw onto the valve instead?
thanks,
bric

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:51 am

Bric:
come over to third and I'll give you one of the adapters.
steve :?