KWS Crissy downwinder advice??

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular
KWS Crissy downwinder advice??

Post by pipedragon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:50 am

What is a good kite size to bring. I am leaning towards a 12m Raven. Which is my kite of choice. Also any advice on the down winder. I heard it is best to wait for the pack to leave first and then follow so you get better wind. Is this right. Also who is going so far? Charlie? Ollie?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:47 am

Unfortunately I will be out of town for the weekend, otherwise I would go.
The 12 is probably the call, but you need to make your decision on the day of the event. Bring a few kites to Crissy, your gear will be safe on the bus and you can get it later. Before leaving Crissy, check all the numbers - Crissy, TI, Berkeley and speed and direction of Angel Island.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanx Ollie, sux your gonna be out of town. I have missed all the previous ones to from being out of town. I'll let you know how it goes. Sounds fun an there aint no wind in alameda!!

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:00 am

The first was a rip on my 14. I had. as usual. the biggest kite on the water and rode the end of the pack as a sweeper. Towards the end of the run the wind started to get lighter. I went from bearing off in the puffs to jam on the speed that I could no way hold an edge on with massively easy air to having to work to get to the beach.

The second trip I opted to work the jet ski to support the chase boat and ended up quite busy. The wind gods decided to cleave off batches of kiters on the backside of the pack a half dozen at a time. We even plucked one off the beach at Angel Island. The wind was shutting down from the rear of the group. My Contra and LFT would have been the correct choice for me on that day.

I can't wait to ride it again!
I hope enough folk sign up in advance so KWS does not have to cancel.

And you on your 12 will be the most likely call given the wind of the past few weeks.

See you Sunday!

~emily.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ~emily. » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:40 am

There's still room on the bus! Sign up RIGHT NOW!! I don't want to cancel.

www.kitewindsurf.com

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:03 pm

Pipedragon, BRING THEM ALL ... The bus has cargo space for EVERYTHING ... bring them all ... you decide on the beach at Crissy !!

On the first trip, ... and feel free to call me a kook ... , I took with me, 6, 8, 10, 12,14, and 16 .... while some people simply brought a 12 .... and, of course, what did I rig .... a 12 .... but, I will bet that I worried less than them on the bus ride whether or not I had the right kite.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:36 pm

The first time I only brought an 11m and my LMG stick not knowing how many kites and boards you can bring and that worked just fine. But that's for sure - there is enough space for a lot more in that bus - everyone could have brought some of those toys....

~emily.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ~emily. » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Good news guys... It's on for sure!! Thanks to everyone who helped rally the troops & everyone who signed up!

cheers!! :)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Yes, I'm bummed that I won't be in town for the weekend and not able to participate, but I'll be having fun on a mini-roadtrip up the coast. But for all that have done this before, you know how fun it is. For all that haven't, sign up and do it, you'll be in good hands, there's rescue craft available if needed.

Also, as always with these, once you get to Berkeley, behave yourselves please. No kites landing on the long frontage road beach, only at the Pt. Emery beach which will be on your right as you come in and that's where the bus will be.

Also, the wind at Berkeley can be light and holey and shut down on the inside, so keep this is mind even when you are well upwind. If things start getting light, stay to the right and aim for the Pt. Emery beach. What there is of it anyway, depending on tides.

Have fun!!

Ollie