Downwinder - Sunday, August 14 ñ Crissy to Berkeley

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
windhorny
Old School
Old School
to kWS

Post by windhorny » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:19 am

Just out of curiousity, why is it a sign of enough skill to be able to do simple jumps?

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:13 am

The swells and wind out there can be big so that you sometimes will be picked up and float and have to come down controlled. So especially for that downwinder it is essential that you know how to control kite and board and land in dignity when you encounter that situation.

Also you don't want to end up on a ferry, so knowing about that wind blows a kite/jumper downwind and how far you get carried when jumping is another important brain function which should have been trained before going on that adventure (actually having a brain is the other requirement besides knowing how to jump....)

Also - imagine with 20% of your jumps landing the kite in the water - You drift there in the shipping channel, big tanker comes :shock: ....we will read about you in the paper next day.

Finally you get stylepoints. 8) Good jumps end up on photos and videos - Hollywood may discover you...

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Well, I cant jump and I have no brain or knees, so no downwinders for me I guess.

But on a different note...does anyone know how to save kiteflix videos? Save taregt as doesnt work with their config. It would be nice to watch them during lunch hour sometimes without having to always download them.

Yuri

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:35 pm

windhorny wrote: But on a different note...does anyone know how to save kiteflix videos? Save taregt as doesnt work with their config. It would be nice to watch them during lunch hour sometimes without having to always download them.
If you view the HTML source you should be able to find the URL. In the first couple of videos listed, you can get to the general area by searching for "MediaPlayer1". This might change on other videos.

From there, it depends on what software you have installed. For me, using firefox it starts a open/download prompt. With IE it just starts it up in Windows Media Player, which makes it difficult or impossible to download?

If you're really determined you can download something like "wget".

wget URL

Should be non-unix clients available.

</geekyanswer>