Favorite bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:27 am

Kit Kat Klub
:twisted:
Go bigga'

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:38 am

Patent Pending...

Coming soon, pony keg impact harness with handlepass tubing/leash...
Last edited by jjm on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:49 am

Less is more....

My favorite - The Slingshot bar (of course...) with One Line setup

- All advantages of the 5th line
- all safety of the "traditional" bar (2 O shit handles with Rings for the leash
- Spins/unspins with the leash on the 5th - no twists.
- I use it with a ring instead of chicken loop (I shackle in)
- the safety leash has an quick emergency release
- The bar has an emergency quick release
-The bar is very clean, no clutter. Solid. One rope for sheeting in and out
-useful tools (see above) can easily be attached

Simplicity rules :-)

Sylvia

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:56 pm

I've tried Cabrinha, Slingshot, Naish, and other generic bars.
My favorite is the 2003 Wipika bar. I don't know it's name but it has a twist lock mechanism, similar to the cabrinha powerlock system, so you have to twist the bar to sheet out. I love this setup for my lei kites (similar to ww cc-bar but no moving parts, so no maintenance). The chicken loop is protected with tubing to prevent it from wear. The sheeting system is webbing based (similar to airush) and is longer than other bars I've seen (10" versus 5" on other bars) which is great for depowering kites and gives your kites more wind range. It came with a qr fixed loop and a small qr chicken loop and donkey dick. The line that Wipika uses is thicker than other lines I've used (cabrinha, slingshot) and has never failed on me, where the others have. It also has a swivel built in so I don't really have to worry about untwirling my lines.
I like the sheeting system so much I started making custom ones of similar design to replace my short sheeting systems on my other bars (cabrinha, naish, slingshot).
I didn't have much of a problem relaunching my kites as a 4 line, but I do like the benefits of a 5 line. I currently have my wipika bar rigged as a 5 line (custom). I kept the existing 4 line leash and added a handle on the end of the 5th line that I can pull for relaunches. Has been working great for me and I no longer have to worry about letting go of my bar/engaging my leash when the 5th line is wrapped around my kite (annihilated 1 kite to that scenario in the surf when the 5th line was my leash).
I'm no longer a fan of wipika, but from a design standpoint, this is the hands down the best bar I've ever used.
-bric

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:13 pm

Ollie brought up the whole chicken-loop QR thing. Alot of systems seem to have this, but it seems to have several downsides.

What is the best setup to get a spinning leash without the problems of the above-the-chicken loop release?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm

Pablito(guest) wrote:Ollie brought up the whole chicken-loop QR thing. Alot of systems seem to have this, but it seems to have several downsides.

What is the best setup to get a spinning leash without the problems of the above-the-chicken loop release?
Slingshot Surefire Spreader Bar. Not only do you get a spinning leash, you get the option of riding shackled or unshackled, and the biggest bonus is an added safety release, which would be the first one you go for in case of need.

They're available at KiteWindSurf in Alameda or online at www.live2kite.com

blueocean

ss spreader ?

Post by blueocean » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:46 pm

hey ollie- could you explain a bit about how you added your ss spreader bar into your windwing system. Just got one and want to know if I integrated it safely...?