upwind bodydragging

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Ken
Contributor
Contributor
upwind bodydragging

Post by Ken » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:03 pm

Anyone have any tips on upwind body dragging to retieve your board?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:21 pm

Ken
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ken » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:34 pm

I did, but it never seems to work for me for some reason. I seem to get blown away from the board.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:42 pm

How far are you pointing upwind? Try to take longer less agressive tacks. Also, make sure you keep your legs outstretched to keep your body straight and keel like.

Are you doing this when overpowered?

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 pm

to add, keep the kite fairly low and as depowered as comfortably possible.

Fly the kite with one hand and use the other arm as a keel to point upwind.

you don't have to be moving very fast at all for it to work.

Body Dragger

tips

Post by Body Dragger » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:15 am

I'm learning new moves where I eat shit many times, and have been reminded on how to do this effectively. Here is my summary:
1. When you wipe out, try to stop moving downwind as quickly as possible - don't just go for the joy ride of a lifetime
2. Depower your kite as much as possible - 5th line really helps here, as it enables you to almost swim upwind.
3. One arm steers the kite to a few degrees off the water, the other hand is outstreched, fingers closed. Your whole body needs to emulate a keel of a boat.
4. Look upwind as you body drag.
5. Occasionally, dive under water so that your entire body can create resisstance to get you upwind.
6. Kick upwind w/your feet.
7. Switch from one tack to another slowly, so that you don't loose any ground.

If all else fails, kite w/your bros who will help you get your stuff when you wreck ;-)

Good winds, Zeev.

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:57 am

Take care not to tack too hard, because you will kill the power of your kite, and if it's flood tide, you will be getting pushed downwind by the water. Just like if you edge too hard on your board.

Also, as other mentioned, flying the kite too high will pull you downwind.

Z. must go behind the tules to practice his new moves, 'cuz I've never seen him down in the water...

Pablito

guest 1

Up wind

Post by guest 1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:20 pm

When you first loose your board get the kite over to the edge of the window as fast as you can this will stop you from moving downwind any father.
Line up your body like others have said. Keep the water flowing over from your head to your feet with not to much pressure on your chest. If it hurts to do this your doing something wrong

boy

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:52 pm

I Glue or nail a pair of Converse high tops to the board.
slip 'em on and tie the laces super tight. use rust proof nails.

Or

I carry a spare board in a snowboard backpack on my back while riding. Lose one board. grab the spare out of you quiver on your back, slide her on and go back up wind for the other. an extra is great for when the wind changes too.

OR

Holler to someone nearby. tell them to get up real close so you can tell them a secret. go to whisper in their ear and then grab their board...yank their bar one direction to send it into the power zone. Laugh while they get dragged away (not tangling your lines the whole time).
Yell " Hey sucker, grab my board if you want to keep riding". then when you come in say "OH, sorry about that, thought you were my friend Stymie"
:mrgreen: