Old-time body dragging, in "very agreeable manner"

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
MehYam
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Old-time body dragging, in "very agreeable manner"

Post by MehYam » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:19 pm

Could Benjamin Franklin count body dragging among his many other inventions? I was just watching a documentary where they read this little bit from his writings. It's a fair bet he would be a kiteboarder if he were alive today:
"When I was a boy, I amused myself one day with flying a paper kite, and approaching the bank of a pond which was near a mile broad, I tied the string to a stake, and the kite ascended to a very considerable height above the pond while I was swimming. In a little time being desirous of amusing myself with my kite and enjoying at the same time the pleasure of swimming, I returned; and, loosing from the stake the string with the little stick which was fastened to it, went again into the water where I found that, lying on my back and holding the stick in my hands, I was drawn along the surface of the water in a very agreeable manner. Having then engaged another boy to carry my clothes round the pond, to a place which I pointed out to him on the other side, I began to cross the pond with my kite, which carried me quite over without the least fatigue, and with the greatest pleasure imaginable. I was only obliged occasionally to halt a little in my course, and resist its progress, when it appeared that by following too quick, I lowered the kite too much; by doing which I occasionally made it rise again."

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:27 pm

I love that. Judging by how he described his session, you KNOW he would have loved kiteboarding.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:07 am

Its only fitting that a Benjamin be the prize for a body dragging competition.