what's a guy to do.....

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor
what's a guy to do.....

Post by bendoolittle » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:44 pm

I've sailed Alameda 5-6 times in 12 to 15 knots and am just about to trip the "switch" as well (congrats blair)......I'm getting upwind some, with just a bit more downwind mixed in, and I can see what I'm supposed to do, if only I could execute. Alameda is a crazy long drive and lately looks like it's been suffering from light wind so I wonder if there is room to launch and then pull out (probably downwind) at Rio.....safely. Granted, 15-18 would put a spankin on me and I'll be out of the water for sure if it gets to twenty. But if Alameda is 8-10 and Sherman mid day is 15.....would I be considered suicidal?
bd

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:05 am

What size kite are you on?? You could always do a down winder at Sherman.
Dewey

bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bendoolittle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:37 am

aero 12 and a big gastra board...I've got a pretty good feel if its windy enough or too windy.....more curious about launch land sites, jetty rocks, crowds.........alameda is so easy with regards to that stuff!!!!!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:55 am

It's a little more difficult at Sherman. I think the best bet is to hook up with Nat to do a couple of down winders first. I also think that Josh has the right idea. He hangs at the launch getting to know the locals and the site, with the occasional attempt to kite. If your starting to go upwind then go out on a heavy ebb. You should have no problems.

Just do it.
Dewey
Dewey

bendoolittle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bendoolittle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:59 pm

rock and roll!!! see y'all out there.......I promise to body drag WAY out......

Pablito(guest)

Post by Pablito(guest) » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 pm

Bendoo,
Check out my post from yesterday about newbie riding at Sherman, I think it's under the "switch" thread. Other than the tide, which Dewey mentioned, the most important thing is scoping out your intended landing site (as well as unintended ones).

The good thing about downwinders at Sherman is that you don't have much traffic in the water to worry about once you head downwind (except for windsurfers), especially if you launch from LIttle Baja.

Of course, the bad things include rocks, blackbery bushes, pipelines, the road, hostile landowners (beware Rio Viento), and oil tankers in the shipping channel.

See you out there,

Paul

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:45 am

It's a little more difficult at Sherman.
It's only a little more difficult if you are in exactly the right spot.
I'ts alot more difficult if you are anywhere but. S
So
Walking off the same beach you started at is critical.
I think the best bet is to hook up with Nat to do a couple of down winders first
This is the best and if you ride during an ebb you will be riding for hours.

And if you do end up on the rocks be sure to partially deflate your leading edge before you arrive at the rocks.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Make sure to check that the screws holding in your footstraps are tight, otherwise the hours of fun could become an hour or so of fun topped off with a long painful drag back to the beach :)

lesson learned today!

If you go to SI, try to avoid the weekends, go for a midweek downwinder!