Clear Lake - California

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
tlowe
Clear Lake - California

Post by tlowe » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Clear Lake - California

Anyone ever kited on this lake?

A beautiful lake 1.5 hrs N o SF. Looks like an incredible lake to live on. Expensive I'm sure. Does this area of CA get any wind? Any daily cyclic wind?

Curious, I'm from Minnesota, and saw an article about this lake and it looked beautiful from a scenic view point. Wondered if it had any wind.

nascar fan

Post by nascar fan » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:32 am

I have'nt been there in years so I didn't check it with a kiters eye.. I like it there. It does get windy. Its gusty with sketchy launches as i recall. But I'm sure there are better places to launch than my exgirlfriends place.

But the best reason to go there is it is truly a white trash mecca... great people...

property on the lake is cheap because the lake is prone to flooding in the winter and everyones house gets nice and wet. The lake also fills with this nasty,stinky green algae stuff on the surface.. Not the best swimming.

thats all i know...
I'm sure someone knows better..

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:45 pm

I was up at clear lake on the fourth of july weekend. its so true about the white trash mecca but they tend to stay off the lake it looks like a lot of vacationeers (sp?) were on the water. I went there to go wake boarding and it wasnt that good for wakeboarding because it was too windy and choppy. i wished i brought my gear. Launches arent the best unless you know someone who has a house on the water where i was at,i the biggest part of the lake was calm no/little wind. However when i was there the wind was fairly steady all day long even well into the evening. there were several sail boats out taking advantage of the wind. i would say it might be a decent place if you can stay upwind so you can get back to your launch site. unfortunately i didnt see anyone out kiting, but if you had boat support or even waverunner support it could be a good place, Warm water, fresh water, decent winds.

bryan

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:47 pm

For those that are interested, I received a cutout from a newspaper (from my grandma HAH!) talking about boardstock. Basically, wakeboarding competition with some rock/alternative/whatever concerts thrown in.

http://www.boardstock.com

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 pm

Located in Lake County, America's finest!
Yes, Clear Lake is generally not, and in summer it does get choked with mass green algae. Been a while since I've been there, but I'm sure there's still a few spots left in the trailer parks....

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:20 pm

Forgot to add, it's a popular tour stop for many music bands:

http://www.konoctiharbor.com/concerts/o ... lendar.cfm

You be the judge. ;)