I thought I would start a thread to serve as a reference for anyone interested in playing the role of Beach Steward (we all are anyway as soon as we set foot on the beach) This thread would serve as the proving ground if you will for the discussion/rules in the Alameda Policy thread. If everyone would check in on this thread once in a while, we (Alameda Kiteboarders) could present a consistant face regardless of what notions are being tossed around/refined in the Policy thread.
As a Beach Steward, I promote safe kiteboarding with a smile by;
- keeping the launch area clear for those who are ready to launch and land only.
- encouraging people to stack thier kites neatly in the kite stacking area, and not to lay out their lines until they are suited up and ready to launch.
- discouraging launching the kite in questionable conditions (both too light or too much)
- asking people to body drag out 200 ft. from the beach before diving their kite, and honoring the same safe zone as they come in to the beach.
- telling people that should they find themselves downind of the imaginary line between the antennae and the 200 ft marker, they must not come back onto the sand without their kite in their hand.
- by answering peoples questions to the best of my ability, and should they ask something I can't answer, I'll make an effort to introduce them to somebody that can.
- by encouraging beachgoers to keep a safe distance from the kite launching and landing area.
I will do these things in a manner that promotes self sufficiency (education) and not dependancy (babysitting) among Alameda Kiteboarders.
Please help to add/grow/refine this list. I will have my camel back and hooknife tomorrow! It will be stackalicous. I'll be there at Noon, hopefully the icecream man too! -stef