New Proposed Launch Area - Alameda Kite Plan

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Are you in favor of this plan?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

Jeff Ruoss
Contributor
Contributor
New Proposed Launch Area - Alameda Kite Plan

Post by Jeff Ruoss » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:52 am

Brought this up once in the past. I do not think that it was understood well so here is a picture that should make it more clear.

This new plan would accomplish several things.

1) Increased distance from sidewalk about 200%.
2) Increased distance from roadway about 500%.
2) Addition of bushs to catch any tumbling kites or bad launches.
3) Increased launch zones now there would be four designated by skill level.
4) Remove kites from beach which will make the launch area easier to use.
5) Utilize an area for inflating kites and temporary storage. This area of the park that is not currently used for much of anything.
6) Increased parking about 150% by easy access to designated storage area by two differenent lots.
7) An organized flow of inflating, rigging launching, and landing.
8 ) Increased temporay storage area for kites about 500%.

Just a passionate kiteboarder trying to make some improvements.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Ruoss on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:40 am

nice
charlie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Jeff,

It looks like a nicely laid out plan with a greater buffer zone and more room all around. The photo helps to illustrate the proposal better than any description, so I hope that people can visualize it more clearly.

In looking at the photo, I don't think anyone can argue that it doesn't put kiters and potential runaway or tumbling kites much farther away from the path and road.

Organized flow is important too and this has proven to work well at SI, and if it can work at the tiny launch there on crowded summer weekends, that does say alot.

Looking forward to other peoples views on this. From what I can see, the bottom line is that it gives us a greater buffer zone and more room in general, which are two things that are of importance.

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:07 am

I Love It!

More Space.
More Buffer.
More Safety!

It is safety of the public first and kiters second that is at the crux of all the recent discussions. This plan addresses both very nicely and the visual makes clear the space limitations we are currently working under.

Options that might be raised as discussion evolves is the ability of a beginner to get to a landing zone that is upwind of the launch. And, on busy summer days the beachgoers using the beach house changing room would press against the space of this site (cones will work).

Another huge advantage of this plan is that the best launching option here is with the kiter facing the water and the kite at waters edge. This is optimum. You will be able to keep it low and go right out into the bay and then immediately the 200+ feet offshore. (EVERYONE still needs to learn how to kite in the four miles of Bay just 100 yards South West of the shoreline.)

Maybe there is something to that bald is brilliant thing...

Stefano Moris
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stefano Moris » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:43 am

Makes sense to me :) -stef

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:00 am

Everything looks wonderful however, if the landing zone is swapped with the launch zone it would make me and a whole lot of beginners much happier.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:13 am

panzerfaust wrote:Everything looks wonderful however, if the landing zone is swapped with the launch zone it would make me and a whole lot of beginners much happier.
Why would that be? Either people can stay upwind or they can't. If you have no problem staying upwind, you come in at the landing zone from above clear of everyone launching and going out.

This design provides a rotational queue similiar to Sherman that will keep the flow going and launching kiters will not be in the way of landing kiters.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:47 am

BayAreaKite wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:Everything looks wonderful however, if the landing zone is swapped with the launch zone it would make me and a whole lot of beginners much happier.
Why would that be? Either people can stay upwind or they can't. If you have no problem staying upwind, you come in at the landing zone from above clear of everyone launching and going out.

This design provides a rotational queue similiar to Sherman that will keep the flow going and launching kiters will not be in the way of landing kiters.
I think the answer to the question why has been clearly provided. I also think that sherman draws a more advanced group of kiters so sules on where landing and launching happens with respect to the wind direction is not really an issue. Alameda, however, draws a lot more beginners who tend not to make it that well upwind.

I don't really understand what you mean by a rotational queue though. Whether you land over or under the launch zone you still have to get back to that zone. Is queuing from the bottom undesirable for some reason that I am not aware of?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:06 am

Coming in on an upwind tack to the landing zone will put you far enough up and out to not be in the way of launching, outgoing kiters. If the landing zone is below the launch, incoming and outgoing kiters will always be crossing paths.

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Excellent suggestion!

1. Launching far enough from the road and the bike path
2. Launching with the kite towards the water is possible!
3. Separate launching and landing sites are a great suggestion, with as many ktiers as we have this is really necessary.
4. Having the landing site upwind of the launch makes it safer than the other way. Most accidents happen through launch and kiters get blown downwind. If there is the landing zone it puts those incoming kiters in jeopardy.
5. Beginner kiters and anybody who can not go upwind would not make it back anyways to a landing site adjacent to the launch - so there would be no advanatage of having it the other way round.

The only questions :- that setup is a bit far from the "social center", the shack. Would Rebecca or Jane be willing to put cones up there? Or would the park perhaps agree to such a plan and help with signs? And - is the park willing to give the kiters that much space?

It's a great idea and I fully support it. :P

Cheers - Sylvia