Sweet Home Alameda... The perfect combo for 8mph....

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular
Sweet Home Alameda... The perfect combo for 8mph....

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 pm

All of today, the Alameda sensor did not show over 8mph of wind.... Around 6:30, I saw a slight increase and decided it was time to get wet... Marlys was at a meeting in the city, and I had nothing planned. Since it is warm out, the Alameda water is very warm, and I left the wetsuit inside.... I rigged my Contra 19.5 and grabbed my newly acquired Slingshot Glide. My neighbor who is a fellow kiter launched me with scepticism, but I wanted to give it a go anyway..... I launched and was immediately on a plane and began riding upwind... I gave my neighbor a thumbs up and continued upwind until I reached the shack..... I rode for over about an hour there and then decided it was time to go home. (The water was great by the way.... No wetsuit and 75 degrees air temp.... water was probably 70ish...) I rode home... landed the kite in the water... and came in to find the wind average never broke 8mph... I have had the Contra for a while... but could never go upwind in less than 10 or 11. Seemingly, the Slingshot Glide is a perfect match... It weights 8lbs, has almost no rocker, and almost no fins. I wrote the following review a few days ago, but did not really expect to be riding in 7-8mph as the sensor indicated...

I rode one over the weekend, and then bought it...

This board is great for light wind, and even moderate wind. I went upwind effortlessly at a higher angle than I have ever gone upwind. The board is so frictionless, that riding it unhooked is pretty easy... similar to riding a snowboard or skateboard.... but not entirely that east...

Small fins make this board very easy to whip around... Board is very flext so landings and chop are smoothed out..

Pop is not this boards specialty at all, but I was still able to pop up for some raileys if I really loaded the board up.

The board is so wide you can ride outside of the footstraps... I put one foot ontop of the fin and the other next to the grab handle and rode it like a directional for the hell of it... Actually a good way to ride when overpowered since you get most of the board out of the water and have a small rail you can drive into the water..

This board makes kiting very easy.. Usually staying upwind is something I have to try and do... with this kite, going upwind is automatic...

I think this is the LFT killer....

There is some volume hidded in the middle of the board that is easy not to see. Unlike my other boards, this board will stay planing at very low speeds... I flattended out the board and could ride at a fast walking/jogging pace without sinking... a new sensation...

Anyhow, like I said, I tried it, then I bought it..

My other boards are North Dragon Large, and Jaime Medium.

I tested this board on a 14m R5.... Other kiters smaller than me were on an 18m R5 and a 17m Windwing and I could go upwind much much faster than them.. I have a Contra 19.5 I should have been on, but the 14m Rhino was more than enough with this board...

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:06 pm

Boards make the biggest difference in being able to go upwind.
No rocker is best.
No fins helps too.
You wanta rocker for jumping, so you can hold the edge better before releasing.
I also had a similar experience with my directional 192 cm AHD when on my 2003 11M slingshot. I thought for sure I would be underpowered when everyone else was on 14M's and I am a bigger guy. I was going upwind better than guys on 14M's (13M hellfish included). Goes to show you don't need a big kite to go upwind in light winds. You just need a flat (no rocker) board, the longer the better.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:02 pm

good light wind board = no rocker, wide (>40 cm), long (< 145 cm) and probably in that order of importance.
...sounds like the dimensions for a skimboard...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:58 pm

Andy, I saw you out there yesterday on my way home. You were makin be jealous and you looked nicely powered. I may try to join you today if I can. Look for the big blue kite. I may come down to where you are kiting just to have someone to ride with. Was pretty lonely out there yesterday but you looked like you were having a good ride!!

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:28 pm

ryan... i saw you out today.... almost came out, but marlys wanted to see a movie this evening.... how was it
pipedragon wrote:Andy, I saw you out there yesterday on my way home. You were makin be jealous and you looked nicely powered. I may try to join you today if I can. Look for the big blue kite. I may come down to where you are kiting just to have someone to ride with. Was pretty lonely out there yesterday but you looked like you were having a good ride!!

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:37 pm

It was actually good. I had to go home first to get a big board but it was a good two hour session. Not an epic day but it was epic in it's own way. There is just something cool about riding on flat water with light wind, warm water and sunshine. It is a different kind of kiting. I also have not ridden for two weeks so maybe that added to the magic. Heading to 3rd tommorw for a powered session but probably Alameda again sunday. I remember this time last year and I had tons of good light wind days. The wind is light but it is consisistant at least. It usualy wont just die out all together like earlier in the season. 8)